Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2006, 11:38 AM

Default more of a team sport. . .

Which is more of a team sport and why - baseball or basketball? I need a very solid, yet very concise, argument. . .
Old 08-30-2006, 11:39 AM

Default Re: more of a team sport. . .

concise:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/po...rd=sportevents
Old 08-30-2006, 12:48 PM

Basketball, definitely.

Baseball is a series of one on one matchups, batter vs pitcher. Basketball requires constant interaction among the teammates. Most defensive plays require only one player to make a play and doesn't require complex interaction (obvious exception is a double play). Even ground balls usually only require the infielder to field a ball and throw to first. Even Giambi can play first, so it doesn't require a lot of skill to catch the ball (most of the time).
Old 08-30-2006, 02:06 PM

BASEketball
Old 08-30-2006, 02:10 PM

basketball and this isn't even close. The NBA has marketed its leagues towards star power and set up the rules to emphasize the individual. And even still the NBA is more team oriented than baseball, which is pretty much a series of 1-on-1 matches. Also basketball on nearly every other level is extremely team oriented. If you had asked about the NBA vs MLB then it would've been a bit closer. But basketball vs baseball? Its not even close.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:16 PM

Baseball is only barely a sport.

The only 2 people who do anything even remotely athletic are the pitchers and the catcher.

Catcher has a [censored] job. The pitchers are just amazing.

The other players spend half the time sitting on a bench, and 95% of the other half of the time they're on the field, they just stand around waiting for the pitcher to do his job.

Lets be honest... ping pong is more of an athletic sport than baseball is.

And the worst part is that there are 162 games in a season, so the baseball players get paid a TON more money than the other sports' athletes and they don't have exert even a tenth of the physical effort. (Except the pitchers and the poor bastard who squats behind the plate!)

As far as a team sport? Basketball hands down. As I said... baseball is only barely a sport to begin with, and 7 out of the 9 guys on the field literally just stand around for 3 hours and might have to throw the ball a dozen times or so over that period of time. Not much teamwork in that.

Baseball... pffft

And if I offend any of you baseball players out there, it's only because I speak the truth. Your sport is for people who can't hack it in real sports.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:09 PM

"Lets be honest... ping pong is more of an athletic sport than baseball is."

Wow!
Old 08-30-2006, 03:13 PM

I'm going to disagree with the consensus and say BASEBALL.

I know on the surface it seems like basketball is more of a team sport, but here is the reason why it's not:

In basketball it would be possible for one player on the team to completely control the action and score all the baskets. You could still have a basketball game with only one each on a side.

You can't do that with baseball.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:14 PM

So your definition of sport is what? Constant aerobic activity?

I'm not offended, but seriously, this is among the dumbest posts ever.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:21 PM

Two Incorrect statements:

[ QUOTE ]

And the worst part is that there are 162 games in a season, so the baseball players get paid a TON more money....

[/ QUOTE ]

Their salary is not determined by how many games they play. I have no clue how you could come to that determination.

[ QUOTE ]

And if I offend any of you baseball players out there, it's only because I speak the truth. Your sport is for people who can't hack it in real sports.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, there are many examples of baseball players who played other sports either at the major league or NCAA level. And then there's the issue of Michael Jordan not being able to hack it at baseball. I agree that other sports can demand more athleticism at times, but real athletes often choose to play baseball over other sports for both enjoyment and financial reason.