Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2006, 01:47 PM

Default Bob Dylan

Thinking about going to see him for the first time next week on his minor league stadium tour. How does he sound these days? Does he generally put on a pretty good show?
Old 08-30-2006, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Bob Dylan

no idea about the shows, but his new album is brilliant, if that's any indication
Old 08-30-2006, 01:54 PM

I last saw him 2 years ago, and he still puts on a great show. However, you may walk out saying to yourself "I didn't know any of those songs", only to look at the set list the next day and realize you knew half of them. He uses different arrangements nearly every tour, and he is tough to understand at times.

With that said, he has a great band (these days he mostly plays keyboard) and it's well worth the ticket price.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:57 PM

I love Dylan and saw him in NYC during summer of 2005. It's always entertaining to hear him perform and the music is always arranged differently, but his voice was freaking horrible. I acquired a taste for Dylan's voice a long time ago and always assure Dylan "rookies" that they'll get over / used to his quirky voice, but this was another level entirely. Without being cruel, the first thing that came to mind was throat cancer. Way over the top with the gravelly / throaty sound.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:59 PM

I saw him in Columbus a couple of weeks ago. His voice wasn't at its best, but it was a good show. He's got a pretty strong line-up with him...a no-name bluegrass band warms up the crowd for 45 minutes, Junior Brown played an hour set, and then Jimmie Vaughn (Stevie Ray's brother) played a set. Bonus (for Columbus show) was that Clapton made a surprise appearance on stage for a couple of songs w/Vaughn. Dylan finished off the night with a 14 song set, hitting some of his bests (Shelter from the Storm, It's Alright Ma, etc..) along with some of his stuff off of his Love & Theft album (2001). He had his usual encores of All Along the Watchtower & Like a Rolling Stone. Was a very entertaining show, but I am admittedly a big Dylan fan, so I may be a little biased.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:07 PM

He came to my college last May and it was about the worst concert that I have ever attended.

He was fifteen minutes late, walked onto stage, stood next to this keyboard, and never looked up/acknowledged the audience, etc. Ran through his songs and mangled the chorus so there would be no singing along. His voice is terrible.

I would never see him again.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He came to my college last May and it was about the worst concert that I have ever attended.

He was fifteen minutes late, walked onto stage, stood next to this keyboard, and never looked up/acknowledged the audience, etc. Ran through his songs and mangled the chorus so there would be no singing along. His voice is terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's never interacted with the audience. He's famous (infamous) for it. No one ever credited him with having a great voice. And 15 minutes late? How did you manage to pass the time?

But saying that - I've probably seen him about 20 times over the past 10 years and, even though I'm a huge fan, his shows are really hit and miss.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's never interacted with the audience. He's famous (infamous) for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry to bump this thread but I found a pretty cool clip of a duet with a random lady from the audience.

web page
Old 09-07-2006, 09:12 AM

I have seen Bob perform 32 times between 1976 and 2005. If you understand what he is trying to do, you will never forget his performance. If you are looking for some light entertainment, you might not like it.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:03 PM

Goodness gracious, you've seen him 32 times? That's intense.

No offense, but I think that makes me count your opinion a little less. Like, I'm sure Grandma Dylan thinks he's a very talented young man, but she's not unbiased, either. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
-Sam

edit: She's probably 'Grandma Zimmerman'. Sorry Grandma-Z.