Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2006, 06:17 AM

Default Building a Bankroll

Hey everyone.

I have been playing for a while online with cash here and there, but then deposited it for uni expenses. Since then I haven’t really played in ages, now I have started a new job, now before I save up some money I just have a question for more of the experienced players here who are very good with their bankroll management.

What do you think is the ideal amount to deposit into a poker website when attempting to build a bankroll from the bottom up?

$100? $200? or even more, what gives you the best chance to take advantage of some nice bonuses that allow you to get to say $1000, at a nice stable and safe rate.

Thanks in advance
Rob
Old 08-16-2006, 07:21 AM

Default Re: Building a Bankroll

I am trying to build a bankroll from the scratch myself and I would advise starting with at least $250-$300 if you can afford it. I started with $50 that wasn't even mine (it was donated to me, so basically I invested ZERO of my own money) and using bonuses and promotions I am now at $200.

But even with $200 most bonuses are quite hard to earn at low limits and I am reluctant to try stakes too high for my bankroll. If you are at all confident about your play and willing to risk a couple hundred bucks, it is definitely easier than grinding it out from scratch.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:19 AM

The easiest bonus to clear at the moment is the party bonus and that requires $500 to take full advantage. With the $500 you can pretty much recieve maximum bonuses from most poker sites. If you play low stakes (0.25/0.50)then the best bonuses to go for are the ones that don't expire as you will take forever to clear them.

You can clear most bonuses at 0.50/1 but 1/2 is better if you are up to it as the game gets a lot harder.

A good site which gives you a lot of sign up bonuses is www.pokerbonuszone.com but there are plenty out there. Remember the most important thing though, if you are losing more money than the bonuses are giving you then it doesn't matter how big your bank roll is you will eventually lose it all.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:37 AM

You should maximize bonuses as laid out at http://bonuswhores.com/ . Also set up rakeback before you deposit a dime.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The easiest bonus to clear at the moment is the party bonus and that requires $500 to take full advantage. With the $500 you can pretty much recieve maximum bonuses from most poker sites. If you play low stakes (0.25/0.50)then the best bonuses to go for are the ones that don't expire as you will take forever to clear them.

You can clear most bonuses at 0.50/1 but 1/2 is better if you are up to it as the game gets a lot harder.

A good site which gives you a lot of sign up bonuses is www.pokerbonuszone.com but there are plenty out there. Remember the most important thing though, if you are losing more money than the bonuses are giving you then it doesn't matter how big your bank roll is you will eventually lose it all.

[/ QUOTE ]

This site isnt very great. poker source onine is much better (since they give you extra bonuses that clear along side the sites bonus).

PM me for referral info.

Ken
Old 08-18-2006, 12:41 AM

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...&PHPSESSID=
Old 08-18-2006, 07:45 PM

I've had a look at poker source but I've already done the rooms so I'm looking for others.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:22 PM

Any thoughts on building a bankroll without the bonuses?

Or is it just not worth it?

I have taken out most of my money online and only have a small amount to start back in with.

$32...My plan is to go to Stars and hit the .02bb NL tables and build it to 15bb of the next level .05bb. (Drop back down if I fall to 10bb). And keep moving up.

Is this a waste time and should I be taking advantage of the few bonuses left available to me?

My concern is the quality of the games and the amount of time required to clear a bonus at some of the sites.

Any thoughts on building a bankroll via the micro-limits vs utilizing the bonuses?

Thanks in advanced.

BTW... after about 1800 hands I have now moved to the .05bb. My bb/100 is astronomical, but my $/hr sucks big time.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:17 AM

i would recommmend to anybody beginning to build a bankroll to take advantage of the bonuses.. i had a measly balance of $10 2months ago but with help of a few bonuses now have a bankroll of over $1k..

if you can manage to breakeven or better, win at the tables, bonuses can help enourmously when building a bankroll and i would suggest to take a look at the 101 guide on www.bonuswhores.com or perhaps maybe even follow my very rough guide at http://10dollarchallenge.blogspot.com [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

although, in the early stages of completing bonuses with such a small bankroll there is a higher chance of going broke than playing the 0.2bb tables and winning.. however, it's a fast way to build a bankroll if you play tight and manage to breakeven/win at the tables..
Old 08-30-2006, 09:12 AM

I started with $50 and built up to almost $600 playing casually...I also recommend just concentrating on specific games such as SnGs or Low-Limit cash games and building your BR before diversifying into different games.