Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2006, 11:43 PM

Default 99 @ .5/1 pty - Was this terrible?

I've been a lurker of 2+2 for a couple years now, but this is my first hand post. Mostly a casual low limit donk, today playing off a reload bonus on .5/1 LHE on party.

This was the first hand I'd seen CO enter, had been sitting for about 20 hands so far.

Party Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $0.50/$1
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) hero is MP3 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
4 folds, <font color="#cc0000">hero raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO 3-bets</font>, 3 folds, hero calls.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (7.5SB, 2 players)
hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets</font>, hero calls.

My thought at this point was to call flop, and bet any scare card on turn. Looking back on the action, it would seem that my normal inclination would to raise or fold that flop bet, leaning towards fold. Any thoughts as to the proper play here?
Old 08-29-2006, 11:52 PM

Default Re: 99 @ .5/1 pty - Was this terrible?

IMO either lead the flop and fold to a raise. If not raised then re evaluate the turn. If villian missed the Queen you might own the pot by betting out. Or check as you did because there are only two of you, you missed the set, so check fold? Either is probably OK but you only have 2 outs the rest of the way and only one villian to build a pot. I'm usually gone but I think some might play it.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:09 AM

Default Re: 99 @ .5/1 pty - Was this terrible?

Heads up against an unknown with only one over card I may call down until another over card hits.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:05 PM

Default Re: 99 @ .5/1 pty - Was this terrible? - RESULTS

Here are the results of the hand:

Party Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $0.50/$1
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) hero is MP3 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
4 folds, <font color="#cc0000">hero raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO 3-bets</font>, 3 folds, hero calls.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (7.5SB, 2 players)
hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets</font>, hero calls.

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4.75BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">hero bets</font>, CO folds.
Uncalled bets: 1BB returned to hero.

Results:
Final pot: 4.75BB

I wanted to post this because even though I had a good result, I was doubting my play. Should I still be leading at this flop every time? Is there value in betting that turn with the scare card?
Old 08-30-2006, 08:56 PM

i like a check fold here
Old 08-30-2006, 09:06 PM

The flop play is reasonable, if the plan is to show down on a safe board. That A does not make for a safe board though.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:51 AM

I would lead out the flop to see how he reacts, and fold if raised.

I like the turn bet with the scare card coming (had you lead the flop, it would be even more meaningful and troubling for the villain). The player is tightish. If he does not have an ace, you pick up the pot. If he raises, you can safely fold. Pot odds are giving you 5:1, I'd estimate him folding here &gt;20%, so the play is +EV. Besides, it's sexy [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-31-2006, 06:17 AM

To the OP:

I would probably c/c the flop and c/f the turn. Though I think leading that flop is pretty reasonable.

On the turn, I can't see you making many hands that are beating you fold, except *maybe* TT, and I also think you're beat a *vast* majority of the time.