Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2006, 09:42 PM

Default I just received Caro\'s Book of Poker Tells in the mail!

Hi there!

I got a really good deal on this book off of ebay so I bought it($20 as opposed to $39.99 + 14% tax at Chapters here in Canada). I'm not sure how much use it will be playing online but it should be an interesting read anyway. Hopefully I can pick up a few things when playing some of my home tournaments.

What do you guys think about this book?

Later...

P.S. I should be receiving Theory of Poker, Getting Started in Hold'em and Small Stakes Hold'em this week as well. I can't wait to start reading and playing!
Old 01-24-2006, 10:36 PM

Default Re: I just received Caro\'s Book of Poker Tells in the mail!

Dude, one book at a time.

Start with SSHE. Concentrate more on mastering it, rather than racing through it.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:39 PM

I think you will learn more from any of the 3 books you are waiting on (TOP, getting started, SSHE) than Caro's book.

The general recommendation is you start with Getting Started, then move to SSHE, and then Theory of Poker.

In my opinion, Caro's book is extremely entertaining and is a useful guide for examining opponents' physical behavior. The reliability of the tells he identifies and the monetary value he assigns to each have not proved accurate in the games I have played. Sometimes I think people who have read Caro will over-act a "weak means strong" tell as a bluff to people they suspect take Caro as gospel.

Still, Caro's discussion about the psychological motives behind actions opened up my way of observing the game in front of me. And I know some people do swear by this stuff.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:32 PM

Hi again!

Yes, I know one book at a time... I'm only reading it tonight because I'm hosting a poker night this Friday. I want to see if people actually exhibit some of these behaviors.

Caro's book is an easy read (I'm almost halfway through already). I know that the other books i'm getting will require a find-toothed comb to get through and I'm prepared to go through them one at time thoroughly when they get here!

Later...
Old 01-25-2006, 01:10 AM

Definitely begin w/ SSHE. Throw in Caro's as well. If after a while move on to the Theory of Poker and/or Harrington books.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:23 AM

Hello, Mr. Sask

It looks like you have a good start to a very good poker libary. I have the books that you mention and I think you will enjoy the ones you have coming a whole lot more than Caro's book of tells, but it is a interesting read anyway.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:33 AM

What kind of holdem are you playing? It seems like most home games(not all) are NL. If you playing NL Harrinton on Holdem Vol 1&2 are great. If your playing limit then small stakes holdem is great. The Caro book is great, but remember it's on tells, and that's probably something that should come lastly. Or at least after you read the others.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:51 AM

Its good if your opponents haven't already read it.

I recall it allowed me to win a big pot with nothing.

A guy started handling his chips as I was pondering, so I knew immediately he wouldn't call a large bet, and he didn't.

But beware anyone who has read it because they will produce "false tells" to throw you off.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:30 PM

To be honest the only thing i found applicable in that book is 4 things. Stong means weak,weak means stong, Shaky hand is always a sign of strength, and Learning when someone is acting and not acting. Beyond those it was enjoyable to see all the out dated clothing haha, but i was a fun read and gets you looking around more trying to spot thing. The most helpful book i found for tells was Harrington on Hold'em Vol.1 and the mentioned watching the hands and betting patterns. I like this approach a lot better because i feel uncomfortable staring someone down, i kinda feel like a dork when i do.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:32 PM

Ohhh, i remeber this one pot with a guy i play with and saw him double check his cards after he bet into me. So i reraised and he called me all the way to the end with a worse kicker. That was helpful aswell