Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2006, 01:20 PM

Default I need help!

I'd like to say I'm a winning player altough I think a break even player is closer to the truth. Bonuses keeps me afloat more than my winnings.

If I would have played w/o bonuses I'd still be slighlty ahead today, but that's really slightly.

I've read:
GSIH (once)
SSHE (4 times)
TOP (reading it now)

I should be able to play above average but I feel I'm not.

What should I do to become better? I think I've played 100K hands since July this year.

I do know there's no easy answer to this, just wanted to get a discussion going.

Thanks.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:30 PM

Default Re: I need help!

I am assuming that you are playing Limit. Simply reading those books doesn't help. U need to be able to clearly understand and apply what's outlined in those books to actual hands that you are playing or played.

Another useful tool is Poker Tracker. You can dig up hand histories (for example: the hands that have cost you the most money) and maybe replay the hand and see where you went wrong.

I would re-read GSIH, great book. I believe at the end of the book, it says that most players will be a break even player at best.

Personally, I think books are good to a certain degree. They will teach you the fundamentals, odds, etc... but the best tool for learning is playing hands.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:52 PM

Are you using Poker Tracker?

If you're not using Poker Tracker, then that's part of the problem.

If you are using Poker Tracker, then post your stats on the on-line poker forum, or on the forums over at the Poker Tracker site.

Other than that:

1) Stop cold-calling raises before the Flop.
2) Fold suited connectors to pre-Flop raises.
3) See the Flop with small pairs if you can do it for one bet. Fold if you miss your set.
4) Stop slowplaying middle-to-strong hands like overpairs, two pair and sets - Make those drawing hands pay for their cards.

Those were the mistakes I found myself making over and over. SSH & numerous suck-outs helped break me of those habits.

Read, then re-read, then re-re-read TOP. My first time through, I kept saying to my self, "My God, this is all such simple, elementary stuff. I don't understand why people go on and on about this book." My second time through, I began to see how position blends with the plays like check-raise, semi-bluff, free card, etc.

Now I think of limit hold'em more like two people who don't like each other dancing the Tango with a knife in one hand.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:14 PM

I think one of the best things that has helped me, is to be, "Completely 100% honest with yourself."
Poker Tracker will help you with this, you should know exactly how you are doing at all times. But, it's really you that know's what's wrong with your game. Or, at least you are the only one that can figure out what's wrong with it. Figure out each of your small problems that are costing you money, then slowly work on them, one by one.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:24 PM

I'd suggest posting hands you have questions about in the appropriate forum, but it's probably more important to post responses to other people's hands. Writing down your reasons for suggesting a certain action can really help you understand the underlying concepts. Also, if several people disagree with your advice, it may be a sign of a leak in your game.

Now I just need to take my own advice more often.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I think books are good to a certain degree. They will teach you the fundamentals, odds, etc... but the best tool for learning is playing hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Best advice you'll ever get. The only way to ever truly learn ANY of the concepts outlined in those books is to experience it first hand. Not to mention reading them 2 and 3 times. SSHE says it right in the beginning: read through then go back and read again.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:22 PM

100k hands is a lot. Simply playing more isn't the answer. You should change something.

I recommend moving down until you are winning at the table. Understand the mistakes your opponents are making. Cut down on your own mistakes. Then move back up, trying to preserve the feeling of winning or at least outplaying your opponents.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:37 PM

Thanks for all the help guys.
It all got me thinking so I can get back on track.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:03 PM

Poker tracker can be a good tool, but it is not a necessity. You can develop the necessary skills to be a winning player without it, and there is good reason to do so, especially for B&M play. However, you sound like you may be at a point that it may be helpful for you. Just remember, that playing by statistic alone can be like following a set of directions that tell you to turn right or left, but not where to turn. Don't be agressive solely to get your agg factor up, understand why and where to be agg.

[ QUOTE ]
What should I do to become better? I think I've played 100K hands since July this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just reading books doesn't make you better...I can read Hugh Hefner's biography, but I still probably won't bang a lot of centerfolds. You need to understand what is in the book. Yes, you could take the SSHE starting hand chart and probably be a break even player. But when you understand why to play certain hands in certain positions, why one hand is profitable in one type of game but not in another, etc, then you can adapt your play to the game.

As for how you can become better, you haven't given us anything to go on...do you tilt? Are you picking the right games for your style? What is your style? Limit or NL? Stakes?

[ QUOTE ]
I should be able to play above average but I feel I'm not.

[/ QUOTE ]

The average player is a losing player, so you are already above that...
Old 01-25-2006, 01:41 AM

This is very good advise. The more I play and go back over SSHE, I am surprised at what I missed the first few readings. Reading, studying and knowing what the book says is very important, however, putting the concepts into practice is paramount. I think one of the most important things that has helped me is reading and posting on this form.

Good luck, and hang in there. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]