Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2006, 02:15 AM

Default I improve, ergo I fold

I'd been raising a ton at this table and as a result my opponent's calling standards had opened up a lot. I bet again on the turn because I thought he might well call me again with a flush draw or a 7 or a number of other non-Ace hands. And if he did have an Ace I thought he would just call so I could still try to hit my 2pair/trips on the river and then win a big pot.

Well, I hit my 2pair alright...

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.25 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button ($8.40)
SB ($28.60)
BB ($28.25)
Hero ($28.35)
MP ($10.35)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.95</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls $0.70.

Flop: ($2) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.5</font>, BB calls $1.50.

Turn: ($5) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2.75</font>, BB calls $2.75.

River: ($10.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $5</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $15.50

I put him on AT here pretty squarely
Old 08-29-2006, 02:20 AM

Default Re: I improve, ergo I fold

Call on the river, it's likely that he was just playing his ace, his bet is fairly small and it doesnt look like hes showing a lot of strength here, it looks like you have him beat. Playing 8 t in that position in this level isn't going to win you a lot of money either by the way.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing 8 t in that position in this level isn't going to win you a lot of money either by the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think by itself maybe not, but it can when ppl start calling me down with 2nd pair cos I'm constantly in there, and letting me control the pot by constantly checking to me so I can keep bluffing.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:23 AM

I fold preflop your hand isnt good enough

when he calls the flop bet i check behind hoping to catch 2 pair or trips, I'd call on the river
Old 08-29-2006, 02:27 AM

I fold this river but i prefer betting 4 or 3.5 on the turn if you are going to bet it. I think its better to either check behind and re-evaluate river or bet big enough on the turn that he wont call with draws (at somewhat reasonable odds).