Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2006, 02:17 AM

Default Re: America\'s Drunkest Cities

Nate,

Do you live in Chicago or are you from this neck of the woods?

Regardless, you probably know that this town has some very fine drinking establishments, including two of the top bars in the U.S. for beer drinking as voted by readers of Beer Advocate.

Map Room came in third and Hopleaf ranked 21.

I was up in Milwaukee last weekend, right before this list was published. While tailgating at Miller Park (home of the Brewers), I was offered a beer about every ten minutes.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey, I'm from Columbus and have close family in Minneapolis and Winsconsin...

I'm surprised Columbus is so high on the list, although I'm sure it's due to The Ohio State University.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rest assured that if East Lansing or Ann Arbor were large enough to make the list, you guys would be no higher than #5.

The drunkest little city in America though is almost certainly Madison, Wisconsin, where about half the student union is devoted to bar and patio space.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised Columbus is so high on the list, although I'm sure it's due to The Ohio State University.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rest assured that if East Lansing or Ann Arbor were large enough to make the list, you guys would be no higher than #5.

The drunkest little city in America though is almost certainly Madison, Wisconsin, where about half the student union is devoted to bar and patio space.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the late AA recognition. I knew I made yet another run (walk) to the liquor store 25 mins ago for a reason. That said, the only real consumption around here is panhandlers from Ypsi.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nate,

Regardless, you probably know that this town has some very fine drinking establishments, including two of the top bars in the U.S. for beer drinking as voted by readers of Beer Advocate.

I was up in Milwaukee last weekend, right before this list was published. While tailgating at Miller Park (home of the Brewers), I was offered a beer about every ten minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in Chicago. The Ontario thing is an old joke from Andrew Karpinski's heydey. We have a lot of really cool bars here; goes with the whole neighborhood thing.

In a previous life, I did some consulting work for a large Milwaukee-based industrial firm. These were mild-mannered people, but a typical night out might feature six or seven beers at Miller Park, some drunken driving, a drink or two on Water St., some more drunken driving, and then hanging out at the client's house until two in the morning for even more drinking. And then a 6 AM meeting the next day.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the late AA recognition. I knew I made yet another run (walk) to the liquor store 25 mins ago for a reason. That said, the only real consumption around here is panhandlers from Ypsi.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only issue with Ann Arbor is that the high percentage of pot smoking probably trades off with drinking to a certain extent. This is probably also true of Boulder, Colorado.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have visited Madison a few times and it's always a great time. Of course, you quickly realize why people drink so much there. Gotta get those beer goggles on if you want to take home a "hot" girl.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:33 AM

Always wanted to visit Madison. Another one too small to make the list but deserving is Lawrence, KS. Massive party town, especially during March madness. Also home of the nations best strip clubs.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:39 AM

yea madison is pretty nuts I live in boston and go to school in madison and I would have to say everything in wisconsin revolves around beer. If you are with a parent you can go into bars and drink as much as you want even if you are 21, not sure if it is a law but it happens. Boston is pretty strict with their drinking and underage people at bars most places but the amount of college parties probably eclipse that fact.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nate,

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in Chicago. The Ontario thing is an old joke from Andrew Karpinski's heydey. We have a lot of really cool bars here; goes with the whole neighborhood thing.

In a previous life, I did some consulting work for a large Milwaukee-based industrial firm. These were mild-mannered people, but a typical night out might feature six or seven beers at Miller Park, some drunken driving, a drink or two on Water St., some more drunken driving, and then hanging out at the client's house until two in the morning for even more drinking. And then a 6 AM meeting the next day.

[/ QUOTE ]

I grew up in Milwaukee, and it really is a weird city. It has things about it that are so great; the college and professional sports teams, one of the biggest annual music festivals in the country in summerfest, one of the best zoos in the country, great museum, wonderful nightlife. And then it has some stuff about it like the high level of drunkenness and consistently having a top 10 murder rate in the country that don't exactly look great to outsiders.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:24 AM

I live in Columbus. I'm a drunk. All my friends are drunks. Most everyone that I know is a drunk. We really are a drinking city with a football problem.