Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2006, 12:19 AM

Default Planned stop and go gets unexpected second villian...what now?

About 105 people left in a Party $33, 100 get paid.

I thought a stop and go was a better option here as I would give button huge odds if I came over the top. Unfortunately the BB calls along and now I'm clueless.

Reads: Button has been pretty active, and makes ginormous raises. He seems to be using Kill Phil and is making almost all his decisions preflop. BB has made some big raises as well, but hasn't splashed around in as many pots as the button. He likes to defend his BB in SB/BB confrontations but mostly settles them preflop with reraises.

My image has been pretty quiet lately. I had been at the table probably 1 hour, and was pretty active due to some good cards when I first got there. However, I've been quiet the last 4 or 5 rounds due to bad cards and a lot of action in front of me, usually in the form of BB's massive bets. I did double up about 4 or 5 rounds ago when I pushed TT with an M of 8 in MP1 v. UTG's 3.5x BB raise (he called, had AJo (wow) and I flopped a set and rivered quads).

Anyways, what's my play here? I don't normally like to give up on a stop and go, but the pot is bigger than I hoped it'd be and the flop doesn't look that scary.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t1200 (10 handed) internettexasholdem.com

UTG (t6361)
UTG+1 (t16843)
UTG+2 (t9750)
MP1 (t24489)
MP2 (t7892)
MP3 (t34216)
CO (t7882)
Button (t16606)
Hero (t10139)
BB (t20580)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t4000</font>, Hero calls t3400, BB calls t2800.

Flop: (t12500) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero ???
Old 08-28-2006, 12:21 AM

Default Re: Planned stop and go gets unexpected second villian...what now?

I really don't like this play.

If you were the BB I might think a little more about it. This way you are sure the pot is heads-up/

I just fold and look to push from LP.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:17 AM

Rule #1 of stop N goes: thou shalt not abort.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:08 AM

Dude, you have an over and a gutshot. Plus, even if someone has like 99/TT they're going to have a hard time calling.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Plus, even if someone has like 99/TT they're going to have a hard time calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's really not true...maybe moreso in a 3-way pot, but if this was HU (and OP, fold or push pf since you arent closing pf action) I think 99-TT call way way way more often than you think.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:40 AM

No, I mean now that he's called and sees this flop, either player is going to have a hard time calling with 99 on a 88J board.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:36 PM

Yeah I realize I made a mistake trying to stop and go here in the SB...I'll blame that on not playing for two weeks.

I actually almost check/folded but figured a gutshot and possible live overcard were better than nothing, hoping I might have a tiny bit of FE, so I pushed. Unfortunately BB woke up with JJ so I wasn't getting him out of the hand no matter what. I'm not so concerned with the BB's hand, moreso with my stop and go decision. I don't use this play as much as I should, so I thought this was a good time.

Is it generally accepted that you not try this move from the SB? Also, if I were in the BB instead, this would be a clear stop and go given stack sizes, right?
Old 08-28-2006, 07:04 PM

I don't know if the stop and go in great from the SB.

However, on the flop, you have 6K left and there is 12K in the pot. You have a gutshot and overcard, so you pretty much have odds against a jack. So push.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if the stop and go in great from the SB.

However, on the flop, you have 6K left and there is 12K in the pot. You have a gutshot and overcard, so you pretty much have odds against a jack. So push.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. Additionally, I don't mind the SnG right here at all. OR raised almost 3.5x, and he OPEN raised that much, that's pretty big at this stage. I think it's VERY reasonable to expect BB to fold and your call to be good here to get it heads up. I think you got pretty unlucky that BB called.

Pulling an SnG from the SB, in principle, is fine.