Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2006, 06:26 PM

Default TT, strange hand

Villain is 49/3/0.8 and a total fish

Not sure if I should have bet the turn as well, given the reads on him.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is MP with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

River: (3.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 5.75 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG has Qd Qs (three of a kind, queens).
Hero has Ts Th (three of a kind, tens).
Outcome: UTG wins 5.75 BB. </font>
Old 08-28-2006, 07:48 PM

Default Re: TT, strange hand

Checking the turn protects your 6 murky outs if you're behind, at the cost of missing value and protection if you're ahead (although as far as "protection" goes, it's not easy to find worse hands that Villain would peel with on the flop but fold now -- but who knows?).

You probably won't get checkraised that often here, and since you won't, I think you can fold to a checkraise, although bet-folding is an expensive way to decide your set/gutshot outs aren't worth a call.

Anyway, against your somewhat passive opponent, I would probably bet, with the plan of checking the river (unless I got donked into on the river, in which case I would probably call).

Against a more aggressive player, I'd probably check the turn, and part of the reason for this is that I'd anticipate him often practically auto-betting the river anyway after my show of weakness on the turn.

Anyway, in the actual hand, I kind of want to raise this river. I wouldn't be able to fold a set to a 3-bet, though, and I don't think I should either, so there is that drawback to a river raise: You are kind of giving 2:1 on the raise (and I think you can count on getting 3-bet if Villain somehow has a jack). Also, there will be those occasions where you're best and you raise and don't get called.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:36 PM

Default Re: TT, strange hand

He's a passive mofo, and you probably want to get showdown as cheaply as possible. You probably won't be able to check it down here, so 1 bet is more realistic.

Betting the turn: If he cr's, easiest fold ever. Any hand he'd c/r with he'll probably donk the river with if you check behind.

If you bet and are called, he'll almost always check the river. If he donks the river, I think you can safely fold.

If you checked and he donks the river...then you have a decision to make based on what card falls.

I don't think there's a huge difference in EV either way, you played it fine. I would take your line against this opponent.