Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2006, 06:36 AM

Default My \"EPT-Project\"

Ok the deal is this:

I managed to get quite lucky and qualify my way into one of the EUR 5000 EPT Events (Player's Choice actually). I chose Baden, Austria (I'm from Germany...) starting the 7th of October. The date hasn't been comfirmed by the poker site yet, though.
Assuming there won't be any problems, this gives me 6 weeks to prepare for what will be the absolutely biggest Poker Event of my life.

My plan for preparation looks as follows:
<ul type="square">[*]Read HoH 1-3 (HoH 1 almost finished)[*]Get into as many cheap live events as possible. (There aren't many, but I'm signed up for a Sattelite to the German Championship on Sep 1.)[*]Starting on Sep 3 till the end of Sep: Play one Stars $4/180 Tournament a day except Fri and Sat (a total of 20 tourneys)[*]Use EasyTournamentSummary to post the Full HHs from each Stars 180 for review and analysis. [/list]
Any thoughts or ideas on my plans?
Do you think I can get replies on 20 Full HHs? (I realize they are quit long. Well they can be, depending on how well I do...)
I think, if I get the quality feedback I have seen others get on this board, I can improve my MTT play tremendously in those weeks.
Also could someone maybe tell me what settings to use for EasyTournamentSummary to get the most accepted form of summaries for this board?

Thanks for supporting me [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
~Matt
Old 08-28-2006, 08:15 AM

Default Re: My \"EPT-Project\"

I'd urge you to keep a level head and come in with realistic expectations. These EPT events do not have the world's best structure, so you can expect high variance, and it will be correct to play aggressively and take a lot of risks almost from the very beginning. You don't want to come in thinking, "OMG this is my only chance ever to play such a big event I better not blow it" because in fact correct play will result in you "blowing it" quite often.

Probably the biggest adjustment you'll need to make from your internet play is dealing with larger antes. Once the antes kick in, picking up the blinds (and preventing others from doing so) becomes extra important, and you'll need to start pushbotting sooner, as your M will drop more quickly.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:23 AM

Foucault speaks words of wisdom.

If you've never played a live tournament, then giving one or two a shot wouldn't be a bad idea...but remember, it's just a tournament.

Don't put too much emphasis on the "biggest poker event of my life." Just play your best. In the meantime it wouldn't be a bad idea to steadily improve your game. Don't just try to "cram" before the "test." Trying to learn a lot in a short period of time is a good way to learn nothing at all.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:27 AM

So You are saying, that preparing by playing online tournaments will not necessarily increase my chances, because the structures are so different?

Could you (or someone else) maybe point me to somewhere, where I can check out the EPT-structures? I was not aware that a 4 day event would have a structure that actually increases variance...

My goal with this "project" is mainly to improve my understanding of MTT strategy to a level where I feel at least somewhat comfortable when I sit down at the EPT.

And you are probably right that I should calm somewhat, but I still want to be as prepared as possible.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:32 AM

I realize that what you are saying is true, and I have already been learning loads by just reading the MMT boards here, but I feel that I am at a point, where I can learn substatially more by having someone analyse my play, than by trying to analyse someone else's, as I have been doing.

Basically this is something I would have done anyways sometime soon, I'm just taking the EPT as a motivation to put more time into improving my poker for the next few weeks.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:59 AM

http://www.europeanpokertour.com/EPT3_baden.html

It's actually a 3-day tournament, since the first day is split into Day 1A and Day 1B. I'm assuming everyone starts with 5000 chips (thought I'm hoping it's 10K, as I'll be playing the Barcelona event), which means you start 100 BB's and blinds go up every 60 minutes. Live play is probably three times slower than online in terms of hands/hour, so this is equivalent to the structure in like a Party Super, ie good but not great. There will be some room for deep play early on, but you really need to focus on winning some pots early so that you get enough chips to stay ahead of the structure. I'd suggest playing your position and not inflating the pot too much with a marginal hand early on.

Once the antes kick in, you'll probably feel the pressure right away, as your stack will start vanishing before your eyes. Be sure you are up on Harrington's Inflection Point play and you know how to calculate your M and how to move all in with which hands from which position. Also be on the lookout for re-steal and squeeze play opportunities, as there should be a lot of aggressive raising to try to take down the bloated pots pre-flop.

This is why I say it is high variance: you should not be ashamed if you end up busting out by squeeze pushing J8o and get called by TT. Always be aware of how much is in the pot and think about how much fold equity and pot equity versus a reasonable calling range that you could have in any given situation- sometimes the correct play will be a thin move that will result in your being called by a better hand a substantial percentage of the time.

Look at it as a free vacation where you also get to play some poker.

I don't see myself reviewing 20 different HH's, but I will make an effort to look over at least one that you post. You also might want to consider playing some online tournaments that are higher buyins than your usual game, both to accustom you to playing at higher stakes and to get a feel for more aggressive play. Don't go crazy, but maybe play a like one Super a week and try to satellite into a few Sunday tournaments. If you do well in any of those, you might want to post those HH's instead of a 20/180.

Good luck.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:35 AM

* Definitely read HoH 1-3
* Substitute the $4/180s with $20/180s; the competition in the $4s is just too weak.
* Post the tournament summaries on pxf (www.pokerxfactor.com) instead of EasyTournamentSummary; most people will prefer the graphical interface.
* No, in all likelihood you won't get replies on 20 full HHs, particularly not $4/180s. There are just too many basic decisions there for most people to analyze an entire HH...still, if you use PXF and do individual threads for particularly interesting hands, you should get some good feedback.

From your post, it seems like you have little MTT experience; like Foucault says, don't expect miracles.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:06 AM

Thanks for the link to the structure and how to play accordingly.
I might try and play one or to of the bigger tourneys you mentioned. Maybe I can cash big in one of my first 180s and use that money. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-28-2006, 10:10 AM

I'll definatly look into PXF and check if my broll allows for some $20/180 or other larger buy-in tourneys as Foucault has suggested.
I really don't expect miracles. I just don't want to regret not having prepared. (I wouldn't mind to cash either, obviously. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])
Old 09-04-2006, 05:03 PM

Is there a way to post a full HH without paying the $150???
(I actually played a 20/180 and did quite ok, I believe.