Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2006, 04:56 PM

Default Advantageous to buy in short in PLO?

I've been playing PLO50 on Stars and have been buying in for $20 (40BB) instead of the full $50 and have had success getting my hands paid off (although this is a small sample of tables)

I was wondering if anyone else buys in short and if they've been finding it more advantageous in making money

All thought and POV's are welcome [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

guilt_trip
Old 08-27-2006, 05:31 PM

Default Re: Advantageous to buy in short in PLO?

No advantages. Unless you're a losing player, in which case you will lose less.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:08 PM

Barry Greenstein says he buys in short in NL/PL games. Here's his reasons from his book (some of which don't really apply to internet play, and some which I don't really agree with):

1. There is a mathematical edge when you have fewer chips than are needed to call all bets, since you can't be driven out of a hand when you are all in.

2. People won't ask you to stake them as often.

3. People are less afraid to get involved in pots with you, so you may get more action.

4. Easier to limit losses.

5. You will keep yourself from starting with weak hands.

6. You can keep hit and run artists at the table, since they can't get as far ahead on one hand when you have less for them to win.

7. You will lose less money when your opponents are playing well and make more when you are playing well.

8. It is easier to protect yourself from going broke.

On the last point, I can see the rationale for buying in short in a game that is very good but for which a max buy-in would be too high for your bankroll.

I still think that buying in for the max is the best idea, but would think that PLO can still be played profitably with short buy-ins.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:44 PM

I think this is fine if you are a beginner, but I think you are leaving money on the table if you can play well. The biggest advantage I can see in buying in short is that it eliminates tough turn and river decisions, which as you gain experience you should be able to improve and play them with a full stack
Old 08-27-2006, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Barry Greenstein says he buys in short in NL/PL games. Here's his reasons from his book (some of which don't really apply to internet play, and some which I don't really agree with):

[/ QUOTE ]

For the High Stakes show on GSN, it does look like BG was buying in shortstacked.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:47 PM

Yeah, I only do this when i take shots at higher stakes like 3/6 or 5/10. It eliminates turn and river decisions b/c your stack is normally in on the flop. I feel like I can outplay my opponents at the lower levels, but I don't have the bankroll to play comfortably at the higher levels. Buying short allows me to make easier decisions and takes away the ability to bluff me or raise me out from my well-rolled opponents.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:20 AM

i asked a similar question recently in this forum and was given a couple links you might find helpful:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...Number=2784889

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...Number=5648630
Old 08-28-2006, 08:25 AM

Buying in short is advantageous for people who are poor at hand reading and want to avoid tough decisions on the turn and river.

Buying in short can be bad if you find yourself tempted to call all-in with weak draws because it doesn't feel like that much money.

Buying in short can be beneficial if you are playing against complete strangers, as going to showdown costs less and information is cheaper.

If you buy in short and double up, you will be at practically a full buy-in, so it doesn't matter as much when there is a max buy-in.

I usually buy-in full because I generally play PLO when I see a couple of fish with double the maximum.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No advantages. Unless you're a losing player, in which case you will lose less.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this is incredibly false. if anything, if you are a losing player, it could give you a chance to become a winner.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:06 PM

I like to buyin short when playing NLHE. I know it makes the game easier for me to play for a few reasons:

- It keeps me in line preflop. With a full buyin I tend to make some looser calls (maybe too loose) because of implied odds.
- Flop turn and river decisions are easier with a shorter stack.
- You get a little more action, being shorter.
- I also agree with some of the other reasons that Barry G mentions.

In PLO I prefer to buyin full for these reasons:

-Loose calls pf in position are not as big of a mistake.
- A shorter stack deters me from trying to pick up orphan pots.
- When I get allin set over set (Which occurs way more in Omaha) I would prefer to be deeper obviously.
- Sometimes a deeper stack allows me to just call on the flop where a shorter stack would force me to play the pot for all my chips because of the overlay.

One thing that is great about a shorter stack in Omaha is that you can reraise aces pf and get enough of your stack in that your opponents don't have the implied odds to call you (over 35% of your stack).