Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2006, 09:57 PM

Default Re: 100NL weak set laydown?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
obviously i put him on aces here

[/ QUOTE ]

If that really is the case, why did you call?

Given the check/call and then the check/bet, I'd say he has an ace...if he has aces, God bless him, but I'd hope for AK and check raise all in

[/ QUOTE ]

I called p/f for set value. I called the flop because kings or queens would bet this flop when checked too. Now when he bets the turn, i think kings or queens would check behind here.

[ QUOTE ]
If the ace on the flop were a king, would you weak tighties think he flopped a set of kings and fold?

20/6 is not good enough to make me think this is ONLY aces...and it's not close

[/ QUOTE ]

If the flop was a king, i would have pushed, because i beat aces. The difference between the ace high flop and a king high flop is that the ace is a scare card for any hands that i beat (assuming he doesnt have AK, which im quite sure he doesn't based on his previous play), and when he continues agression on the turn, well he just doesn't seem scared of that ace. If it was a king i would push the turn if he followed the same line, because it now opens his range up, as he would do this with aces. Im not saying im correct, but these are my thoughts, feel free to correct me here.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:02 PM

I HATE the fold...he has AK enough to make pushing the turn correct
Old 01-24-2006, 10:10 PM

This is how I would have played it.

Lead for 3/4 of the pot on the flop. Call a reraise, check raise allin on the turn.

Or, lead for 3/4 of the pot, if he calls, pot the turn, allin river.

No way im folding the 2nd set here. If you are letting go of sets this often on a raised pot than you are playing way too weak/tight and you might as well stop calling raises with pocket pairs altogether.

Get all the money in here and go broke if you have to.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

No way im folding the 2nd set here. If you are letting go of sets this often on a raised pot than you are playing way too weak/tight and you might as well stop calling raises with pocket pairs altogether.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definatley do not make it a habit to fold sets, to be honest i cant remember the last time i folded a set. but here i had a read and went with it. remember im only posting hands i have trouble with, so if i post a set laydown, it doesnt mean im laying down sets all the time. In this case i had that feeling, u know the feeling? when u think for ages and u just have that voice in ur head saying ur behind, but u wanna call so bad. I used to have the problem of calling when i have that feeling, and 85% of the time im beat, so now im working folding when i have that feeling. this probably doesnt make much sense but yea watever.....
Old 01-24-2006, 10:22 PM

don't worry, it makes a lot of sense
Old 01-24-2006, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I definatley do not make it a habit to fold sets, to be honest i cant remember the last time i folded a set. but here i had a read and went with it. remember im only posting hands i have trouble with, so if i post a set laydown, it doesnt mean im laying down sets all the time. In this case i had that feeling, u know the feeling? when u think for ages and u just have that voice in ur head saying ur behind, but u wanna call so bad. I used to have the problem of calling when i have that feeling, and 85% of the time im beat, so now im working folding when i have that feeling. this probably doesnt make much sense but yea watever.....

[/ QUOTE ]

You should fold preflop if you aren't willing to go broke here. A queen or higher will come on the flop about 45% of the time, so you need better than 8:1 to call for set value. And if you do hit a set on a J high or lower board, you aren't stacking QQ-AA every time.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:32 PM

I think you are playing way too weak-tight. In one hand you lay down KK after flubbing the flop play, and now you want to lay down mid trips?

I would bet HARD on the flop. You're showing weakness like crazy.

Preflop - raise.
Flop - check/call.
Turn - check/call.
River - check/fold.

If I just had an A I would probably be betting this way against you.

-Ernie S. Irwin
Old 01-24-2006, 10:32 PM

That isn't fair at all, as far as hand reading goes, this isn't a simple situation. KK and QQ aren't giving this type of action on a A high flop, but AA and KK will still give you action on a Q high flop, if he happens to have QQ that's poker, this is not the same dillema as the op is facing.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:47 PM

Still think his 20/6 stats bring the reraise with AK into play much more than OP feels.

3 ways to have 2 aces for the set
12 combos of AK

I also agree with Fallen Hero's well written post about hand ranges...but there is enough chance this is AK to call this.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Still think his 20/6 stats bring the reraise with AK into play much more than OP feels.

3 ways to have 2 aces for the set
12 combos of AK

I also agree with Fallen Hero's well written post about hand ranges...but there is enough chance this is AK to call this.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed