Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2006, 06:56 PM

Default Re: motorcycle Suggestions

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If you've got decent hand-eye and you're not a maniac you shouldn't have any trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really wrong. If you don't take lessons or read a few books and take a very slow learning curve, you are extrememly likely to drop the bike.

Jump on the bike to take a quick run to the store. Its not far so i dont need any gear just shorts and a shirt, maybe even no helmet cause its only a few blocks. This has the added bonus of the chicks being able to get a good look at me on my hot bike. So im going, and here comes a red light, i brake a little but instead use some gearing to slow down. OOPS revs were too high, back tire locks, i'm down and under that parked car. Maybe if you're lucky you're okay and only a few thousand in damage to the bike. Plastic gets really expensive really quick, and good luck with your next insurance premiums.

Not sure how many of the states are mandatory helmets but not wearing one is an absolute death wish. When i was in Alaska 80% were not wearing them. This is absolutely idiotic (I guess its an American thing).

Here is a thread very similar to yours.

First bike

rJ_

[/ QUOTE ]

I was under the impression OP was going to take some sort of motorcycle safety course which usually involves classroom and seat time on a bike. These are usually mandatory along with passing a written test at the dept. of motor vehicles to recieve your motorcycle endorsement.

To the OP. When you get your endorsement you can go to a dealer and test drive a wide array of bikes. Don,t get your mind set on one particular style, brand, or engine size.

Once you 've narrowed down the range see if they have 24 hour rental available. Many do and it usually runs around a $100 for the day. This might save you money in the long run.

You'll have a much better idea of style of bike you enjoy riding what you are capable of handling.

My gut says you'll quickly get bored with a 250 want to sell it about a week after you buy it. But you know your own comfort level and abilities better than anyone.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:00 PM

CBR 600RR or any Honda product. They have great service and the quality is the best. CBR 600RR was my first bike and I loved it, but had to sell it to get my RX-8.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:43 PM

Can't believe there's a thread about motorcycles and no mention of these:

Harley Davidson

b
Old 08-26-2006, 11:10 PM

250's are crappy as hell and way to underpowered
go for Ninja's 500 to start thats my first bike and its great
Old 08-27-2006, 12:12 AM

Best beginner bike hands down- Suzuki SV650. Very sweet. Easy to ride, safe, torquey, very fun bike to ride. Used to ride a Katana 600, the SV was a dramatically nicer bike for similar price range. I cant say enough good things about it. Goto socalsvriders.com for more info.

My next bike will be a Triumph Speed Triple. Thats a great bike, but not for beginners.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Harley Davidson

b

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing that's because everyone understands how harleys are way overpriced for what they are.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Harley Davidson

b

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing that's because everyone understands how harleys are way overpriced for what they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chick magnets.

There are many deals that can be found if one looks hard enough.

b
Old 08-27-2006, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks, great links this reaffirms that this is probably the bike for me. One other question, as far as taking training classes, do you typically bring your own bike or do they provide bikes for you to use?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.msf-usa.org/

The BRC (Basic Rider Course) should provide you with both a helmet and bike for your course.

Poke around that site, there is a lot of good info there. What state are you in?

[/ QUOTE ]
I am in Ohio
Old 08-27-2006, 01:01 PM

This seemed like a pretty good review of the Ninja 250: http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1145
Old 08-27-2006, 01:30 PM

Dont be a squid , wear a helmet. And plus you know how much bugs to the face hurt?.

For the record most accidents happen 15 miles within home , because the people get comfy and stop paying as much attention.