Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2006, 05:47 AM

Default Live tournament question

Sorry, couldn't think of a more descriptive title.

I was thinking about a common interaction you hear between two players in a hand, usually when one of the players is facing a large bet. That is: "will you show me (your hand) if I fold?"

The majority of the time I hear this comment is at a home game with average to below average skill level players or at decent sized local MTT's.

My question is have any of you ever tried asking a player who has made a large bet in front of you this question and if he replies that he will show you, you call? My thought process is, all things being equal, a player who is willing to cut a deal to make you fold your hand cannot possibly have a very strong holding.

Obviously this isn't a play you want to employ very often and especially not against a strong player or the same player more than once. But, one time in the face of a tough call I'd like to try it.

Thoughts?

AT
Old 08-27-2006, 06:07 AM

Default Re: Live tournament question

And again to reiterate, this isn't a play I'm suggesting you try at the next WPT event. It would be more of a move to push you to the call side on a close call against a player with a nominal understanding of the psychology behind the game.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Live tournament question

This will make you seem weak and inexperienced. If that's your goal, that's okay, although I'm not a fan of trying to get an advantage that way.

You will get a lot of not-nice replies. I'm a polite guy, I'd probably say, "I'll tell you right now, I've got nothing." Many other players will not converse with you at all about the hand, they know you're fishing for a tell.

Most who do answer will be thinking about how their answer will affect your decision. You assume they assume you will be straightforward, and fold if they say "yes," but call if they say "no." But they can go one level farther and do the opposite, assuming you will assume this. I don't think it will work reliably.

If I did use this for a tell, I'd call a guy who thought about the question, and fold against a guy who replied "yes" or "no" immediately. A guy with a weak hand really wants you to fold, a guy with a strong hand would like you to call, but wins money either way. There's emotion associated with turning over a weak hand, which is why some people muck them and others show them when they don't have to. There's less emotion associated with showing a strong hand, except for newbies excited about having a good hand.