Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2006, 02:32 AM

Default I think he has a big pair but what do i do?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

MP3 (t1540)
CO (t1470)
Hero (t1440)
SB (t1540)
BB (t1530)
UTG (t3080)
UTG+1 (t1480)
MP1 (t1650)
MP2 (t2780)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to t40</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t80</font>, SB calls t70, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to t120</font>, Hero calls t40, SB calls t40.

Flop: (t380) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets t120</font>, <font color="#CC3333"> Hero ?

Umm ok, early with no reads. The reason i raised doubled it was to make it harder for the blinds to call. If thats stupid, please me let in on that lol. But more importantly, when he made it 40 more it had me thinking he had AA or KK. Well this flop comes down and its about the best i could ask for. But if i think he has a big pair should i just call and wait to see if i can hit my hand or raise and if i get played with then just get it in? Thanks for any input
Old 08-27-2006, 02:53 AM

Default Re: I think he has a big pair but what do i do?

Call and give the SB a chance to call with a worse hand. You have such a powerful hand even if he has aces you have 11 outs and with kings you have 14 outs. Just because he minumum raised you before the flop doesn't mean he has one of those hands. If this was later in the tourny I would say raising or pushing all-in is a good move because he is more likely to call with inferior hands. Basically there are no free cards that hurt you, so play it slow and give the SB a chance you make a mistake.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:39 AM

if you reraise PF reraise bigger, i would pound that flop all day like it's my job, frankly that line doesn't mean a big hand, sometimes it means missed AK, scared JJ, or absolute [censored]
Old 08-27-2006, 05:02 AM

Raise to 140 preflop.

Call the flop bet.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you reraise PF reraise bigger, i would pound that flop all day like it's my job, frankly that line doesn't mean a big hand, sometimes it means missed AK, scared JJ, or absolute [censored]

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with Nath about pounding this flop.
If another club hits the turn and he doesn't have one he may shut it down and you lose value you could have taken on the flop.
Say you push the flop after his what looks like a probe bet.
You are getting 1.358-1 if he calls.
Even if you only have 11 outs you have the correct odds here to shove.

I like min raising here. If he has AA or KK he should come back over the top of you and you can get it all in at correct odds.

If he has some crap hand like AK or JJ or 1010 he is probably not giving you any more play if you flat call and another club hits unless it gives him a set.

I like trying to extract more value here.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:32 AM

i agree with the reraise more pf

on flop, u r obviously not folding so its all a matter about maximizing. i guess that against an overpair u will get it in on flop very often and u r not very unhappy about that. but a lot of other hands are gonna fold where u might get some more action if u just call. i think i would let him try to push me off my hand with worse hands. although i might lose some value when he got overpair and slow down when i improve
Old 08-27-2006, 10:42 AM

FWIW, I think the small re-raise is fine. It lets him isolate with position on the OR. A larger re-raise means he's putting in 10% of his stack pre-flop, which is going to make things awkward on a lot of flops, and the guy probably isn't folding pre-flop anyway. I also don't see anything wrong with letting the blinds in if they want to come, since Hero has a hand that will play well in position in a multi-way pot.

You definitely want to bomb the flop, even if you think Villain has an overpair. The problem is that if the turn blanks and Villain makes a big bet, you'll have a real dilemma, as your equity in the hand has now gone way down. Plus if a club or an A comes you may not get paid off as well as you'd like. That means that by just calling you lose more when you miss than you win when you hit, so you might as well get it in on the flop so that you can collect your full equity the times that you hit.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:59 AM

He bets 120 into a 380 pot and you have TPTK + nut flush draw. Call it... If you hit the flush, it doesn't matter if he has an overpair. AA / KK. You also have another 2 outs with the 2 Q's.

You may want to lead out with a bet post flop next time, minimum 1/2 pot.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:35 PM

Big hand. Big draw. No reads.

I'm usually willing to play for it all in this spot. It's early in the tournament and I'm happy choosing good spots like this even if the variance is perceived as high. I'd love to be able to get all my chips in right here and with the way action went preflop I much prefer leading out HOPING he raises with AA/KK allowing me to 3-bet all in right here.

The way it played I put in a sizable check raise and push most turns whether I hit or not. Great hand and opportunity to double up early or start up another tournament.

Flat calling here is bad because if another queen or a club hits the turn villain is likely to not put any more chips in the pot.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:47 PM

Ok people seem to be confused. I am not sb in this hand. I am on the button, thus i can not lead out on the flop.