Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2006, 01:31 AM

Default Re: $27: Rate this steal

If 2 of the 3 remaining players are tightish im raising just about anything reasonable here. 55+ AT+ KQ QJs JTs
Old 08-27-2006, 01:34 AM

Default Re: *grunch*

[ QUOTE ]
I'm usually folding these low pairs at this level w/ your chip stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't afford to fold 6 6 in the cutoff, five handed with a player folded (imo). This is a case where you have to make the play, but you don't have a lot of power if you get played back at, which is where the reads come in. Also if you EXPECT to get played back at, then you can fold it, but I would never fold this hand in this situation.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:05 AM

If the players are tight and I have a decent table image I will raise this. There is also the possibility that we get called, and on a rag board we can try a cbet.

Otherwise if the players are quite agg, I would wait for something slightly better i.e. 99+ and raise slightly more than 3BB. This commits me a little and if raised I can push or call an all-in.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:41 AM

I always raise 3xBB from this position with these kind of blinds. Anything less looks too much like a steal, with more resteals as a result. The 50 chips you earn here aren't worth the increase in restealrate imo.

When blinds get bigger, you can get away with 2.5xBB raises (partly because of you raising more chips and partly because of bubble fears).
Old 08-27-2006, 06:29 AM

Default Re: $27: Rate this steal

[ QUOTE ]

66 plays like 82o here because you're not willing to call a push, so it comes down to how often you think you're taking down the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except for all of those times you get called and now you actually have a hand instead of garbage.

I open here with 44+, A5s+, A8o+, and all broadway hands. As someone else said, making it 450 here is superior, as you get messed with considerably less.

I think lots of people are -EV on these steals because they either give up when they are called or play too passively and get pushed off of the best hand.

For example, if you open here and the BB calls and then leads the flop, shoving over the top is probably +EV no matter the board(slight exaggeration). Now this doesn't mean I'm shoving TJA boards when they lead, but way too often people are laying down the best hand with 66 just because an over or two flopped and their opponent bets into them. Or they wuss out and check behind if their opponent checks into them.

Again, I'm not saying you should felt this hand everytime OR that you should c-bet 100% of the time. But giving up everytime someone calls or leads into you makes a hand like 66 not worth opening.