Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2006, 05:53 PM

Default QQ vs donk turn

BB has just entered the game and I have 500 hands from him with 40/8/1. MP is pretty much of a callingstation. Raise and fold to 3bet?

Ultimate Bet 0.50/1 Hold'em (6 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP calls, Hero ?
Old 08-26-2006, 06:10 PM

Default Re: QQ vs donk turn

It's either that of call call IMO. I think I like the raise line though because it charges everyone another bet whereas MP might fold after looking at the river or bb might give up on the river if he misses.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:54 PM

Something is wrong with the converter as there's one too many players in the hand.

That donk is seldom a 9x hand.
A5 or A4 is more likely. Or a small PP

Raise and fold to a 3-bet if his stats are correct.

A5 or A6 seems more likely.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:59 PM

If I were HU on the turn I would almost always call down. If the pot is 3way on the turn and im closing the action, I would raise/fold against a sane opponent. Getting 2-1 on a turn raise is hard to pass up, so as long as you know how to react to a turn 3bet, raising is the play in this scenario.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:00 PM

thx, I thought so too, but the fact that this was his first hand somehow distracted me from thinking he was not donking a 9.

its only bb, mp and me in the hand.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
its only bb, mp and me in the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Hero raises, 2 folds

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're the button and the 2 after you fold, BB can't be in the hand [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2006, 09:26 PM

I hate these hands. On one hand I think that the biggest mistake you can make is to fold the best hand but on the other I'm thinking what's this fairly passive guy betting here? I think that a better line than raising is to just call the turn and river (UI). You're putting in the same number of bets that way but you get to see a river card. If a very bad card comes or it's bet and raised on the river I think you can pretty safely fold then.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:03 AM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

gotta let a calling station call, it's what they love. riase the turn, if villian 3bets you're pretty well over a barrell.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate these hands. On one hand I think that the biggest mistake you can make is to fold the best hand but on the other I'm thinking what's this fairly passive guy betting here? I think that a better line than raising is to just call the turn and river (UI). You're putting in the same number of bets that way but you get to see a river card. If a very bad card comes or it's bet and raised on the river I think you can pretty safely fold then.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you think you are getting bluff 3-bet?

Don't we want to charge the guy in the middle who probably has 1 pair (2 outs usually) or a hand like A7?

True
Old 08-27-2006, 09:47 AM

I think the turn raise is a good idea.

A guy with 1.0 agression who's a "calling" station is probabily still betting a decent amount of times with his decent hands. Each "call" counterbalances his bets, so if someone "peels" wayyy too much, but still bets every hand a tag would bet, their agression would be in the 1.0-2.0 range.
I really doubt someone with those stats (even a calling station) would just check-call this flop with top pair.

The top card pairing is a definite scare card to a PF raiser, and even very poor players would recognize this. My guess is he just picked up a flush draw.

Raise, fold to a 3-bet (based on read of his passivity).
Bet river with the possible exception of like a 7/8 of spades.