Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2006, 06:05 PM

Default How not to play .50/1. Limit Holdem Maniac play

Hi all,
I have been playing 2 months. I have played for 3 poker bonuses and one blackjack. Made money at each.
I signed up during June at Pokerstars when they had a $25 new player signup bonus. Well at my low limits. .05/.10, .10/.20,

you can't clear the Pokerstars bonus(need pot to be $8 or more, not $7.90...heh heh)
well I increased my bankroll from $25 at stars to $112 playing .10/.20 in 30 days last month july 18 to aug 18.
I tried .25/.50 limit and noticed my FPP points had gone up to 39(125 needed for the $25 bonus).
So I tried .50/1. limit. I did OK(got back what I had lost at .25/.50 )

so I got in a 10 handed game. The average pot size was 7 bucks and 40% plus flops.
I watched this guy go from $42 to maybee $80 and finally to zero playing raising, reraising garbage Q high, low pairs...garbage...
Well I played tight yet the few pots I got into I lost. KK lost...Well many pots were $10-25 so after 2 hours or so I got my 125 raked hands and got the bonus. I did win a few pots in the big blind and got back to within $5 of my start.

This was my first game(at scary limits) with an absolute MANIAC. Got my bonus and now my $25 buyin at Stars is $187,after 5 weeks.
By the way I lost my initial $25 Stars deposit early in july.

I imagine there are maniacs at higher levels also. I write down on my Stars notes SCARES BLUFFS for these wacky players. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2006, 06:48 PM

Default Re: How not to play .50/1. Limit Holdem Maniac play

My rule #1 against maniacs is to never raise draws for a freecard as that never works. On the other hand, call him down with any pair that hit the flop.

Raising to knock others out is obviously needed.

Good luck
Old 08-26-2006, 08:31 PM

This is how NOT to play .50/1 LHE!

Hero is UTG+1 and is dealt 2D, 2H. Hero is steaming. Bad.

PRE-FLOP
1 fold, Hero bets $1, Villain1 calls $1, 2 folds, Villain2 calls $1, 1 fold, Villain3 calls $0.50.

FLOP [board cards 6C,3D,7C ]
Villain3 checks, Hero bets $0.50, Villain1 calls $0.50, Villain2 bets $1, Villain3 folds, Hero caps, Villain1 calls $1, Villain2 calls $0.50.

TURN [board cards 6C,3D,7C,6D ]
Hero bets $1, Villain1 calls $1, Villain2 bets $2, Hero bets $2 for some reason, Villain1 calls $2, Villain2 calls $1.

RIVER [board cards 6C,3D,7C,6D,8C ]
Hero bets $1, Villain1 folds, Villain2 folds.

SHOWDOWN
Hero wins $18.25.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:35 PM

I hate low pairs. I usually muck 22 33 44
Old 08-27-2006, 12:32 AM

Make sure you're playing within your bankroll limitations. Even the best players can find themselves in a tight spot without at least 300BB.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:33 PM

The way I play against a maniac like that is to simply stick with my starting hand requirements for top pair hands and ditch the drawing hands like small pairs and suited connectors. You will be playing a lot of shorthanded and heads up pots for raises.

Then raise or reraise with any hand you were going to play anyway to try to isolate with the maniac and check call with any pair and bet/raise relentlesly with top pair after the flop.

Don't get involved with marginal top pair hands like JT or QJ unless they're suited but I re-raise with KJ and up if it's just me and the maniac.

Don't try to be the one to break him or get him in line. Just play your game and wait for quality hands. He'll probably get lucky against you a couple times but don't let it bother you. He cannot be a winning player playing that way and even if you end up down for the session just remember he won't be keeping that money. Over the long run you will win money from that guy and others like him.

Mostly though just play quality cards and raise him when you play so it's heads up when possible. It keeps his pots smaller when he does get lucky (which guys like him seem to a lot IMO [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Then just play good aggressive poker.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:25 AM

Jupiter, when playing maniacs seat selection is key. Generally you want him sitting to your right so you get to see what he does before you VPIP. This way you get to see what he does and when you get a nice hand you can reraise and make it 3 bets to go. Get him HU and hang on for a wild ride! If you can get him HU and catch a peice of the board you should be quite content to just call him down with marginal made hands.

Also not all maniacs are the same...some will be aggro SOBs but have half a brain and will slow to aggression on the big streets. Others will madly bet air despite being raised. Watch for the subtle differences and adjust accordingly.

There is an argument for having him to your left so you can checkraise him with your good hands or bet and have him raise so he protects you but personally I prefer to act after the maniac.

also against maniacs the variance will be higher but so will the rewards.....it sucks to get KK busted on the river by a fool but think of it as a loan...the pool of maniacs out there will pay it back and then some over time.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is how NOT to play .50/1 LHE!

Hero is UTG+1 and is dealt 2D, 2H. Hero is steaming. Bad.

PRE-FLOP
1 fold, Hero bets $1, Villain1 calls $1, 2 folds, Villain2 calls $1, 1 fold, Villain3 calls $0.50.

FLOP [board cards 6C,3D,7C ]
Villain3 checks, Hero bets $0.50, Villain1 calls $0.50, Villain2 bets $1, Villain3 folds, Hero caps, Villain1 calls $1, Villain2 calls $0.50.

TURN [board cards 6C,3D,7C,6D ]
Hero bets $1, Villain1 calls $1, Villain2 bets $2, Hero bets $2 for some reason, Villain1 calls $2, Villain2 calls $1.

RIVER [board cards 6C,3D,7C,6D,8C ]
Hero bets $1, Villain1 folds, Villain2 folds.

SHOWDOWN
Hero wins $18.25.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's how to post hands on this forum. Be sure you choose the "2+2 Format" from the drop down box. They'll end up looking something like this (and when posting a hand for input on how it was played, it's traditional NOT to show results, but to end at your last action, or put a question mark before your action if that's what you're wondering) :

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $7.90
Hero: $15.65
CO: $24.65
Button: $8.50
SB: $4.20
BB: $25

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG+1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $0.75</font>, 2 folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($1.75, 2 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero?</font>

Also, Poker Stars bonuses clear best with tournies if you're playing low limits.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:44 AM

I showed the results because it wasn't a question, just an example of a horribly played hand with a twist ending.

And thanks for the converter, Mark. I've been trying the Bison one, but have had no luck. I guess it doesn't work with OnGame skins or something. This one worked fine!

Sorry about the tangent, but the help was definitly appreciated.