Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2006, 07:20 PM

Default Re: How would an AC society deal with Chilean Sea Bass?

[ QUOTE ]
because you do not have the technology to solve the root problem. The governments still have all the firepower, and have wide regulatory powers. There is no proposal forth-coming for a method to eliminate the goverment monopoly on the use of force, and without it, privatizing oceans is useless, because you must persuade governments of the world to allow it and they will not.

[/ QUOTE ]
What technology is lacking? The root problem is the existence of government and new technology isn't needed to solve that, imo.

And I don't think you have to persuade all the governments in the world. Think of billionaires who "own" islands for vacationing. Do you think they had to get every government in the world to pledge not to attack them?

I've been thinking about the tragedy of the commons and I'm having a hard time understanding why land is not considered a common but the ocean is. Few balk at private ownership of land. Why can't there be private ownership of the ocean?
Old 08-25-2006, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why can't there be private ownership of the ocean?

[/ QUOTE ]

No government has taxation "rights" over the ocean.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this a serious response? My sarcasm meter may very well be on the fritz again.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this a serious response? My sarcasm meter may very well be on the fritz again.

[/ QUOTE ]

well it's not in any governments interests for the ocean to be owned because they couldn't "legitimatly" tax it. Also who are you buying/claiming the ocean from cos I'll have the pacific if we're sorting it out now.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that selling ocean plots is impossible given our current level of technology and our current social order.

[/ QUOTE ]

followed by...

[ QUOTE ]
Drawing borders in the ocean will strain modern technology, so anyone who has no access to GPS is out of luck

[/ QUOTE ]

Bodies of water, whole or divided up by trade route, have already been successfully, owned (that is to say, controlled exclusively), recognized widely as such, and protected for thousands of years by private/public shipping companies.

Also, you don't need GPS to figure out where you are in the ocean.

[ QUOTE ]
There won't be any appreciable demand for protecting a private plot of ocean because it is not feasible to supply such demand just for a bunch of fish and everyone know this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chilean Sea Bass, or toothfish, is a $100 million a year industry. What exactly are you trying to say?
Old 08-26-2006, 12:12 PM

It would cost orders of magnitude more than 100 million dollars to privatize the whole oceans
Old 08-26-2006, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It would cost orders of magnitude more than 100 million dollars to privatize the whole oceans

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would the whole oceans need to be privatized?

I think you should read Borodog's post On Capitalism. After doing so, you will understand that when scarce resources exist, such as fertile land or ocean waters filled with $100 million dollar a year sea bass, conflicts arise, because many people want its exclusive use, and, amongst humans who do not command militaries constructed of legalized theft (taxation), reason prevails and property rights naturally arise as the means of minimizing violent conflict which is otherwise inevitable.

All government has to do is not be present, although I'm with you that this is not a likely scenario at present.