Default Bank Roll

same as nl
same as limit

new and just need a rundown
Old 08-26-2006, 01:50 AM

Default Re: Bank Roll

If these are questions you might want to check out:

http://www.o8poker.com/Strategy/bankroll.htm

If you're still playing low limits and/or haven't read anything about the game, the 'roll suggestions might be too much of a mindfuck.

Alternatively, you could take the conservative route of about 300 BB, which is far from a bad idea if you're just starting. The game itself needs a dramatically smaller bankroll because the swings are much smaller than in Hold'em, but the effects of tilt and bad play can be as bad as other games.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:24 AM

Are those values legitimate? Would any 'good' players feel comfortable playing 10/20 with a 75BB roll? Some of those values seem plain stupid. There's no way a 'great' player could play 3/6 with a 33BB roll without severe risk of bust. Run cold, miss your flops and all the skill in the world can't help you with 33BB.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:54 AM

I've had no problem playing mid-high stakes with a 100BB roll in the past.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:06 AM

I personally think half of these suggestions for a "great" player are way too optimistic. See the second or third footnote below where Greg suggests a ~120 BB bankroll. To me, that makes the most sense for a decent player like myself (not good, nor great), but the 20% of your bankroll swings can get to you after awhile.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Run cold, miss your flops, or get counterfited on the river for 3 big pots in a row [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] and all the skill in the world can't help you with 33BB.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-27-2006, 07:45 AM

I agree that those figures are a bit "optimistic"

If you're playing recreationally and not more than two tables at a time, then 100-150bb's should be fine.

If you're playing semi-professionally but still have other income to fall back upon, 150-200bb's should be good.

If you're depending solely on poker as your income, 300bb's is probably a good idea.

I know when I moved up to the 10/20 and 15/30 tables, it took awhile for me to adjust to the swings. The aggression pre-flop and post-flop is much different than in the lower limits.

And when you're used to making $16/hr working for the man, and then you sit down and you're winning and losing a weeks paycheck in a single session, it can be kinda odd to adjust.

My biggest single-session loss four-tabling was $1200. If I was only playing with a 120bb roll at 15/30 ($3,600) that would mean that I had just lost 33% of my roll in one session.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:36 PM

How about potlimit o8? still smaller swings than PL nad NL holdem?
Old 08-27-2006, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't play PL. My understanding is that any mistakes you make can be significantly more costly (i.e. just playing the nut low heads-up and being quartered for your entire buy-in, much more devestating than if you were playing limit and had 4-5 players to the river)

But, the mistakes of your opponents are magnified as well, so you can potentially earn more money, if you find the right opponents.

You can also bluff more and/or push people out of pots and not give them odds to draw, while in limit you can get chased down more easily.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ive never been down more than 2.5 buyins at any time, and that was due to bad play and tilt.

i think 5 or 6 is really enough for most players (there are winning strategies that have ridiculous swings but i assume we arent talking about that).