Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2006, 01:50 AM

Default Re: Rockstar Supernova

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I really think the first time Lukas hits the bottom 3, he's gone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is unlikely. I see a final 3 of Dilana, Lukas and Ryan. They gave Dilana the evil edit this week so you may be right about them not wanting a female vocal - this will make it easier to turf her when the time comes.

Contrary to most, I like the show but find the editing to be heavy handed and sloppy. I guess I'm rooting for Lukas but truthfully could care less who wins. The 2 Supernova songs we've heard so far sound like ass. It sounds like the plan is for them to crank out an album, play a gig at the Hard Rock on New Years Eve, then dismantle the band. Can you really imagine Newsted wanting to play this crap for the longer term? The dude is Metallica and Voivod, the Supernova stuff sounds like dull bar band tunes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had this exact conversation with my fiance this afternoon. I was like, "I don't care about the band supernova, their songs sound horrible, and they will suck as a band when they pick a singer, I just want to see who wins." [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I do enjoy the show, but it is a little amaturish.

I really think that Lukas has 0 shot of winning this. Remember this if he ever gets to perform a song with supernova, it's going to sound awful.

He would be fine for an emo band, just not heavy alternative/blues rock.

After the last three weeks, ryan deserves to win the competition, but I don't know if he's what SN is looking for.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:05 PM

Gilby Clarke is a no talent ass clown.
There is a reason he only did rhythm guitar with GNR.
Next time they do a song watch him play its clear he doesn't have a clue what he's doing.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:15 PM

I respect the fact that Newsted quit Metallica because Metallica started sucking ass. And Tommy Lee is still a pretty good rock drummer. But Gilby Clarke really does blow. It really doesn't matter who wins this thing, because this band will be completely irrelevant two seconds after their album gets released.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:16 PM

I mean, Motley Crue is still touring. Is Tommy Lee going to quit that for this garbage? At least the Crue can still sell some tickets.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I respect the fact that Newsted quit Metallica because Metallica started sucking ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't why Newsted left Metallica. He had approached the band about doing some work outside of Metallica which included a side project with his own band as well as recording with Voivod. Hetfield, for whatever reason, would not allow him to persue these options and told him it was one or the other. Newsted selected the other and left the band.

He was itching to get back into the studio with Metallica but they were on hiatus trying to sort out their dysfunctional relationships. Hetfield was a mess and it wasn't clear if they would ever find their way back into the studio and Newsted was bored sitting around and waiting for something that may never happen. If he had been able to do his own this while Hetfield and Ulrich were dealing with their drama, he would not have left.

I pretty much agree with the rest though (about the band, Supernova, being irrelevant). I don't really share the hate towards Gilby - mostly I'm indifferent towards him though although I don't really have an issue with his guitar playing.
Sure he didn't rise to prominence like Axl or Slash but very few do.

I guess he made his money and has been laying low doing his own thing - probably the same thing I would have done given his situation. He comes across fine on the show though.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:15 PM

Yeah I don't mind him personally on the show but he has absolutely no talent. Both songs are blatantly ripped off thus far. I can't remember the tunes names (ones a white stripes tune the other is that gotta little change in my pocket gonna jingaling song)...I could if you really want me too but I wouldn't spend much time proving he sucks because its fairly evident.

Its funny tho because they preach about being heavy when their songs are about as heavy as the latest Kelly Clarkson release.

Oh and another thing Newstead asked to come back when his projects failed miserably...MET said no. I remember they had the phone message on some kinda monster.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:22 PM

Storm Large is pretty sick in real life. she plays weekly at this place called Dantes with her band, and jesus, she is amazing to watch.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:22 PM

I think they have created a big mess by putting this band together just for this show. People are voting for who they like, and not who will fit the band. Supernova is trying to select someone who will fit. I like watching the performances and think the house band is so much better than Supernova.

The last two Supernova songs seemed to be done to a recorded track. Also, the footage looks editted, where the live performances with the house band don't.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The Killers song, he started out great, the lone vocal part in the beginning was great, for most of the rest, he sounded horrible. I just don't understand why the band doesn't ever say anything bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your thoughts on Lukas! I think he is amazing but what you said here kind of confirms what others have told me...I have terrible judgment in music [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I didn't even realize he sounded horrible in some of his songs.

- Dilana was my pick to win it all until last night. Holy crap what happened there? She was set up!

-I thought Magni's Fire was awesome but my friend at work said meh. Jesus, what is wrong with me that I can't tell good from bad?

- Now about this Storm Large girl - Let me tell you she used to drive me nuts. Couldn’t stand her slutty-talking act every week. It bugged me to no end. Still, I love her voice so much and after her version of Cryin’ I'm totally sold on her. Seriously, bring on trashy Storm I say. She might win it all.

- Toby's Layla rendition...Wow. At the opening I was cringing (Dear God what's he doing to our Layla song?!) but half-way through I was really getting into it. I thought he was phenomenal. I know, I have bad taste.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:01 PM

I actually miss Zayra. She was batshit crazy and can't really sing, at least sing for Supernova, but she was interesting and I enjoyed watching her each week. Plus, she was hot. It's funny listening to rawkers critiquing all the singers, then they get up on stage and pretty much suck ass. I think for a lot of these folks, losing this show would be a blessing. I'd have to give the nod at this point though to Magni. Or possibly Toby. EIther one of those two, I can't see them hiring a woman.

The show I would go see is the House Band, fronted by Zayra. Now that would be cool. But Supervova is just 'meh'.