Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2006, 07:21 PM

Default I feel lost

I started playing July, 2005 with 300 dollars. I started at .25/.50 and ended 2005 playing 2/4 (all full ring). My wife lost her job at this time and the money I made (about 13k) really helped cushion the blow. With all the withdrawals for bills I had to stay at 2/4.

At the beginning of 2006 she was rehired and now I could keep most of money in my bankroll. Within about 2 months I had run my bankroll to about 6000 dollars and moved up to playing 3/6 and 5/10. During this time my winrate steadily decreased but with bonuses and rakeback I was able to make money. However I didn't feel good about my game.

When summer vacation started (I'm a teacher) I tried something I hadn't done much of. Limit 33s and 55s SNG's. The first week I absolutely crushed the game and made 6500 dollars. My bankroll was 15k. Then I had a horrible couple days. Some withdrawals coupled with a downswing put my bankroll at 10k.

So I decided to try to learn 6 max. This went very well for a few weeks playing mostly 3/6 and 5/10. My bankroll was at about 14k when I had a horrible week. After a few withdrawals and the downswing I was at about 9k.

Then I decided to try to learn NL 100 and 200. I got my ass handed to me by better play and one and two outers. My bankroll felt destroyed as it stood at 6000.

So I went to 10/20 full ring. Made about 600 the first night. Then dropped 1200 the next. No more 10/20 as I don't feel I have the roll for it. I don't know what I was thinking trying this as my 3/6 and 5/10 results FR were marginal.

Anyway I feel like I've jumped around so much I don't know where to go. I'm not even sure what I'm good at anymore. My confidence is at an all time low. FR games I sit at are tighter than I've ever seen. I have a prop deal and could work low limits (1-2 to 3/6). I feel like this may be the best way to get my confidence back.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:19 PM

Default Re: I feel lost

I don't think moving up right after getting your ass handed to you is a good idea. It seems like you tried a new game, lost some money, then went to another game at higher limits and continued the cycle. I think going back to your smaller bread and butter games are a good idea. Then if you want to try a different game/limit, do it cautiously, and NOT when you're not completley comfortable/confident in your game.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:20 PM

I am not an expert, but you played far below the limits of your bankroll. I understand you were in a difficult financial situation, also I am in a similar position, but I try to be disciplined and play at the stakes at which I can afford to play.

Try to stick at the limits of your bankroll and you will see what happens. If you play outside of your limits, it is pretty much as "pure" gambling.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:23 AM

Why are you guys gambling at all with money you can't afford to lose?
Old 08-23-2006, 10:33 AM

Rock the lower limits for a while man. Put in the hours, do some studying, and get yourself where you want to be.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:42 PM

Mister7 said it perfectly. I'm in the same boat as you sort of. I took it to quick to the high limits and I decided that I'm going to go to 3/6, 5/10 and reaffirm my game and fundamentals.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rock the lower limits for a while man. Put in the hours, do some studying, and get yourself where you want to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Drop down to get your confidence back, play your regular game at 3-6 or wherever you feel comfortable. You'll get your rhythm back.
Good luck
Regards,
Carl
Old 08-25-2006, 07:54 AM

My bankroll is over 45000, and I rarely venture about 10/20 online.