Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2006, 10:57 PM

Default Checked raised on flop after 3 betting pf

Villain is 13/9.9/3.6 over more than 3000 hands.
What do you put him on after he checked raises the flop and how do you proceed? I froze up and went call mode. Is this wrong? What would you do here and why?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB
Old 08-24-2006, 11:05 PM

Default Re: Checked raised on flop after 3 betting pf

Cap the flop. Its standard for a person who 3bets PF to raise your bet on the flop. If your unlucky he could have QQ or TT, but he could be raising with AK, AQ, JJ or whatever and is just trying to thrwow you off your hand. Lead the turn, and you can seriously consider folding if raised there.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:06 PM

I put him on AQs or AQo.

There are two reasons:

1. There is a good probability that he would cap PF with QQ.

2. If he had played QQ passively PF, and then flopped a set, he is most likely to just bet out and hope you go to war with him. There's no need for a c/r with a set of Q's.
I would have 3-bet him on the flop, and if he caps, I'm calling it down.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:07 PM

In spots like this, against a tight aggressive player I like to 3 bet the flop because I might be ahead and it will give me a better idea of where I am at in the hand. If he caps and leads the turn I might put in one more raise or go into call down mode. Depending on what falls and what the villain does.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cap the flop. Its standard for a person who 3bets PF to raise your bet on the flop. If your unlucky he could have QQ or TT, but he could be raising with AK, AQ, JJ or whatever and is just trying to thrwow you off your hand. Lead the turn, and you can seriously consider folding if raised there.

[/ QUOTE ]

edit: 3bet the flop.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:10 PM

I like 3betting this flop. I think we're ahead of a lot of hands here that would raise PF but not Cap.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:23 PM

If villain is a smart player I 3bet the flop, if he isn't then I smooth call flop &amp; raise turn.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I 3 bet pre flop. Still, your point seems right. With a pfr of 9.9 he likely raising 88+, A9s+, KTs+ and AJo+ (from pokerstove). When he check raises the flop you narrow that down to AQ+ (32 hands)and TT+ (20 hands) and if this analysis is correct we are ahead more than 75% of the time. It would be unlucky to be losing here.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I put him on AQs or AQo.

There are two reasons:

1. There is a good probability that he would cap PF with QQ.

2. If he had played QQ passively PF, and then flopped a set, he is most likely to just bet out and hope you go to war with him. There's no need for a c/r with a set of Q's.
I would have 3-bet him on the flop, and if he caps, I'm calling it down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really have to learn to think like that. It really would not make much sense to play the way he did if he had flopped a set.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:22 AM

grunch.

AQ, just maybe AT. Threebet flop. If not, raise turn. If not, raise river.

He could have QQ/TT, sure enough, but ask yourself, would you C/R them if you had you in relative LP?