Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2006, 09:12 PM

Default Reading your opponent.. forwards or backwards?

When I am attempting to put my opponent on a hand I have two general approaches that I use.

The forward method: I put them on a group or range of hands from their first action, and eliminate hands depending on certain actions.

for (a very general) example he limped early then called a 3BB raise. Most likely a mid - high pair excluding AA, KK, maybe AQo .... etc.

He didn't bet the flop that contained an A, AQo is probably out ... etc.

The backwards method:
Given the situation, lets say its a decision on the turn, figure out what hands he would make whatever action he made, then work backwards through his previous actions to eliminate or make certain hands more or less likely.

I know I am leaving out a lot here, but I was wondering what other players (good players at least [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] ) do. Do they constantly try to update/keep in mind what an opponent may have, or do they wait till they have a decision to make, then work backwards, or a subconscious blend of both?
Old 08-24-2006, 10:02 PM

Default Re: Reading your opponent.. forwards or backwards?

It's mostly unconcious, but I'd say I do it routinely forward, without worrying too much about bluffs or unlikely holdings. When I have to make a hard decision, or when someone does something surprising in light of previous information, then I work backwards. At that point I want to cover all the bases, likely or unlikely.

But reading is far more than worrying about what another player holds. Too much emphasis on that can lead to passive play, you're wondering what they have, and reacting to their tells. More valuable is to get a feel for what they want, and what they think you have. That leads to aggressive play. If someone wants to fold, I'll give him a raise regardless of my hand or what I think his is. If someone is hoping I'll call, or anxious to make a reraise, I'll usually fold without worrying too much about his cards (unless, of course, I'm in a position to beat even a very strong hand). I'm more interested in what he thinks I have, then in what he has. I find it much easier to tell what people want than what they hold, and it's usually more useful information.