Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2006, 08:38 PM

Default Calling your opponent for the f-bomb in WSOP when heads-up

I was listening to an old episode of the Circuit with Mark Seif as guest. Seif was recounting his heads-up experience from a 2005 WSOP final table (I believe it was the first tournament where he ending up winning). Anyway, he beat the other guy who had AA in the hand and the guy said the F bomb. Seif asked the dealer if he heard it and the dealer said yes, and he calls the tournament director over and the dealer now backs down and says he isn't sure.

They aren't going to penalize the other player because the dealer cannot confirm it and Seif ends up getting so mad that he says the f-bomb so the director decides that he will let it go because of the possibility that the other guy said it too and they just keep on playing.

Sief was really pissed because the blinds were so big and he would have likely won right there because the other guy would have been blinded down so much. Gavin and Joe seemed to agree with him and never challenged the ethics of winning that way if the guy did get called on it.

What is your opinion on this? I can see calling out an opponent if there are other players involved since you have to protect the field, but do you want to win this way if your heads-up? What would you do in this situation? I'm not sure myself what I would do.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:49 PM

Default Re: Calling your opponent for the f-bomb in WSOP when heads-up

For me personally I don't want the money bad enough to win like this. Partly, I could care less what kind of language people use...I mean the guy just lost with AA heads up playing for a bracelet...he should be allowed a f-bomb or 2 imo. I don't think it's unethical for Seif to ask that the rules be followed, but I do think it's pretty cheap, and I wouldn't wanna cheapen all my hard work by winning like this, even if it meant that I may come in 2nd.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:52 PM

This probably fits better in the WSOP thread.

I really, truly hope that if I were Seif, I wouldn't do this. It's just so lame. In the heat of the moment I might - I haven't been tested like that - but I really hope that I wouldn't.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:58 PM

Personally, it would depend on what context he used [censored]. If he just let out a [censored] or said something like "are you [censored] kidding me" I'd let it go, but if he called me a mother [censored] or something personal I might be petty enough to call over the floor.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:03 PM

No way in the world I would ever want to win a bracelet under these circumstances. That is just petty and cheap. And even if he did curse me out personally, I wouldn't really care. If anything its just obvious he's on tilt and will make it easier for me to win in a straightforward manner.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:22 PM

I would do it.

Opponent made a mistake, time to capitalize.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This probably fits better in the WSOP thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, but that is more of people talking about WSOP stuff (fan type things) and here it's more about playing and I wanted to hear people's thoughts who play in tournaments. ANYWAY...

the interesting thing to me about the conversation on The Circuit was that the issue of winning the tournament on the technicality never even came up.

I don't think the f-bomb came as a result of a personal insult. The guy was just pissed and it came out.

I think I might call it if it happened against me earlier or if I saw it happen to someone else in similar circumstances at the final table, or if the guy was prick and I thought he would do it to me if the situation was reversed.