Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2006, 07:19 PM

Default Final table hand where Gold knocks out Binger

There was a live ESPN broadcast of the final table this year. Anyhow I was curious as to what some of you thought about this hand if you did indeed watch the broadcast.

It was down to just three, Gold, Wasicka, and Binger.
I believe the chip counts were roughly :
Gold - 64M
Wasicka - 14M
Binger - 11M

Blinds were roughly 120K/240K with 50K antes
Gold limps from the button, Wasicka completes the SB and Binger raises to 1.5M from the BB.

Gold calls, and after a little deliberation, Wasicka calls.

The flop comes down 5sTc6s. Wasicka seems to hesitate for a moment, and then checks. Binger bets 3.5M and Gold immediately goes all in. Wasicka stands up and says something like..."that's just sick". He thinks it over for about a minute, and folds.

Binger calls and shows AhTh, and Gold shows 3c4s.

Then you hear Wasicka say he had 7s8s. Turn is the 7c making Gold's straight, and the river is the Qs.

Frankly I was shocked to hear Wasicka had 7s8s. He figures to have 15 outs against Gold if Gold has a ten. From watching Gold's actions at the FT up until this point, it is highly unlikely Gold has an overpair. I think Gold could easily be doing this with a draw, perhaps also a 78, or a 74. He might even do this with a 5 or 6. He's only a dog to a bigger flush draw, or a set. Even then he's only a slight dog. He is a big dog to a T with a flush draw though.

If Wasicka calls and loses, Binger most likely cannot call, or won't, due to the fact that Wasicka being eliminated in 3rd will make Binger an extra 2M. If Wasicka calls AND Binger calls and they both lose, Wasicka is guaranteed 2nd place money.

If Wasicka calls and wins(assuming Binger folds), he will be sitting around 33M, and Gold will be down to 50M. Binger will have about 6M left.

Not simply due to the fact that Wasicka would have won the hand, but simply due to the fact that with an open-ended straight flush draw and a chance to double through the chipleader, I cannot see how Wasicka can fold here. I suppose the fact that if Wasicka folds and Binger calls then Binger can bust out. However, given the evaluation of the play up until now there is little reason to believe Jamie is ahead in this hand. However I suppose Wasicka thought Binger might fold, but it looked more likely that Binger would call, and that he was ahead, which then puts Wasicka in 3rd place.

I dont believe Gold had gone all-in in any hand except for once when he pushed on rhett butlers BB when it was folded to him in the SB. Every time he had a big hand he had re-raised PF.

Anyhow, what do you guys think of this hand given the action thus far at the FT, the payouts, etc...
Old 08-23-2006, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Final table hand where Gold knocks out Binger

Here you go Sunrise
Old 08-23-2006, 08:12 PM

ah TY!
I knew the thread had to be out there somewhere, but I couldnt find it!
Old 08-23-2006, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There was a live ESPN broadcast of the final table this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

In other news...the sky is blue.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:26 PM

HA...currently it is night out where I am and the sky is black.

Anyhow it was the first year they did a live broadcast, and I just found out a few days ago. I'm sure there are plenty of ppl who didn't know, but yeah they are probably not on this site.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:06 AM

I was at the final table taping, and I will say that I think an interesting point is being lost here with Wasicka's decision:

Gold's allin is pretty bad IMO

Binger bet enough on the flop that he would be pot committed verse any raise. He clearly has something decent--top pair or better.

Gold pushes anyway with an OESD.

You know Wasicka cannot call without something great (hell, apparently an OESFD wasn't enough).

So, in all likelihood, Gold is risking 9.5M in chips to win 14M with an OESD.

If he loses the hand, Gold is down to 54M v 13M v 23M.
If he wins the hand, It's Gold's 76M v Wasicka's 13M.

If he folds, Gold still has 63M and Binger and Wasicka are left possibly fighting with eachother on this hand, but with neither making a significant threat to Gold yet.

So, what am I missing about Gold's allin that makes it a good play?
Old 08-24-2006, 06:56 AM

So if Wasika has called he'd have hit the flush and heads up would've been Gold with 50M vs Wasika with 39M! oh how different things might've been.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:07 PM

Horrible play by Gold, I hope they spin it as such on ESPN when it airs.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So if Wasika has called he'd have hit the flush and heads up would've been Gold with 50M vs Wasika with 39M! oh how different things might've been.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, if Wasicka had called I think Binger would have folded. He did only have ONE pair, and by folding there is a possibility he could have taken 2nd place money. But yeah even so, Binger would be down to about 5M and things might have gone drastically different from there on.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:03 PM

I too agree that it was a horrible play by Gold since Binger is clearly not folding to his raise and all he has is an OESD on a 2 flush board. Frankly I think the PF call by Gold was pretty bad in and of itself.