Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2006, 05:08 PM

Default Re: Callling the cops on your neighbors - My Story

Have you heard of results oriented thinking?
Old 08-24-2006, 05:11 PM

There is nothing result oriented about this. Let's assume you never told us they left... I don't know that info. Here's what you said in your posts :

1)You called cops
2)You knocked on their door and told them you called cops
3)"I think getting the cops involved is acceptable if you perceive that it might be risky to handle it yourself."

You did #1 first, then you did #2. Since you did #2, #3 is not in play here. So, since #3 is not in play here, why even do #1?
Old 08-24-2006, 05:12 PM

This should be standard if you're not sure of their safety. We've seen in the various bystander nonintervention threads that doing nothing isn't an option if you are unsure.

The police are supposed to be professionals. This is their job, they should be the ones resolving this.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:13 PM

Iggy

You're just wrong here... he did not 'handle the situation himself' ... had he done that he would have actually tried to go in and make sure everyone was ok, etc. It was probably unnecessary to tell them he had already called the cops, but it's really not so bad.

NT
Old 08-24-2006, 05:20 PM

He took matters in his own hands by knocking on the door, no matter if he went in and tried to break up the fight or not. His knocking was pretty much a P-A approach at stopping the fighting before the cops came.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He took matters in his own hands by knocking on the door, no matter if he went in and tried to break up the fight or not. His knocking was pretty much a P-A approach at stopping the fighting before the cops came.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, so it has to be one or the other? He did the best he could, if this happened to me I wouldn't feel too upset with the guy and would probably be quite embarassed.

NT
Old 08-24-2006, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so it has to be one or the other?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but when the OP said "I think getting the cops involved is acceptable if you perceive that it might be risky to handle it yourself.", and then he does both, that's where I have the problem and that's why I would be pissed if I was his neighbor.

That's me though, whether I'm wrong or right... you don't want to really piss off a P-A.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I felt that calling 911 was the best thing to do, but I did feel a little weird about it. The reason I warned them is that I didn't want the police visit to come as a suprise. I felt that they would be better of if they calmed down a little before the police showed up.

It was not my intention to resolve the conflict myself, but I did feel that I did owe them a warning once I had made the call.

It was not passive-aggressive. There was nothing I could do to stop their argument. Only they could do that. I could get them to stop making so much noise, but that wasn't my main concern.

Just because they calmed down once I warned them, it does not mean that they would have reacted the same had I tried to intervene or threatened to call 911. I did not know how they would react. To say that the arguement wasn't that serious because they stopped after I warned them is just results oriented thinking. It was a very serious arguement