Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2006, 12:23 PM

Default Multi-tabling, what do you look for?

My question is regarding multi-tabling. Whether its 2, 4, 6, or 9 - what do you look for?

Do you keep track of the hands you are OUT of? Or are you watching your other hands? Do you look at position on every hand to see if you will c/r/c ? Do you mainly look for premium hands?

Do you keep a tab on every player at the table? Do you use a program for this? Do you look at their chipstack and your own when determining each bet?

Do you ever get confused? Run out of time on your hand because you're busy with another? Do you use the check/fold boxes, or check boxes even though they might be online tells?

What advice can you give with handling multi-tabling?
Old 08-24-2006, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Multi-tabling, what do you look for?

I only two (or three) table, so i have an idea of what's going on all the time and don't have to limit myself to palying premium hands (I definitely look for steal opportunities, etc..).

All you need is PokerTracker, a good HUD program and practice, practice, practice!

Start slowly. When you are totally comfortable (or even bored) by just one table, then play two. when comfortable with two, try three, ad nauseum..well until you reach your point of comfort.

The main thing is to take it slowly and feel like you are in control. If you feel like you are losing control, drop back down a table.

Good luck!

Onnel
Old 08-24-2006, 01:34 PM

Basically,

Start at one table and when you are able to do most of the stuff you mentioned above normally without having to think to much open up another one, then so on.

Try using the search function aswell there have been numerous threads on this subject. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2006, 01:49 PM

Well, first off let me say that I don't multi-table the "right" way. I don't use a hand tracker/stats program nor a HUD. I am playing with a LOT less information on my opponents than many of the multi-tablers on here, and playing the cards almost exclusivly certainly makes my game not optimal, though its getting by fine. (I've got my reasons, and if I stick with online poker I'll probably getting new hardware and software to do it right in the next year.)

I play on the OnGame network, meaning I can only do 4 tables max. I started out at .15/.30 LHE, moved up to .25/.50, learned some lessons at .50/1, and now play anywhere from .25/.50 to 2/4 depending on TABLE SELECTION. This is effin key when multi tabling. What kind of table you're looking for depends on your game, and even if your game is adaptable I find it easier to find similar tables so you don't have to adjust strategy 10 times a minute. Or, often I will play three similar tables and one different one, so I easily adjust when I'm looking at the "exception" table. So what's your game? Play only premiums and push other players off their hands? Then look for the middle range of %-to-flop and small pots. Play a lot of hand, make good folds and calls and drag the big pots when you hit? Play the high end of %-to flop and look for big pots. Etcetera.

While I don't use outside software, I do track players with notes. I don't take detailed notes on all hands I'm in because of all the tables, but I make a note whenever anything strange happens, like someone calling me down and they show the pure nuts, or someone bluff checkraising me on the river. If they do it 3 times in a two hour session I start seeking them out and taking advantage.

So table selection is key, and you want to look for the right table texture and for predictable players that you can outplay.

I have occassionally timed out of my action when on 4 tables, but its always when I'm messing around - trying to use the restroom or grab a snack or post a comment between hands. If you are focused and attentive you will have no problem at 4 tables, though it will be pretty click-happy when you're in 4 big hands simultaneously. I actually play better on multiple tables. That's because playing good poker is rather boring! When I'm just on one table I start over-thinking it and get antsy, making moves, trying to steal, and over-valuing my hands. When the hands are coming fast I find it easy to settle into a groove and play right.

I use the auto-action check boxes often, but I'm aware of my "timing tells", and will mix it up (auto-action, quick action, long wait) so as not to create exploitable tells.

Advice? Start with 2 tables, go to three, then 4, etc. Dont' start playing poker with 8 tables. You learn A LOT less the more tables you are playing at. I would want to be very comfortable in my game to play more than 2 tables. If your goal is to learn, play on fewer tables and analyse every decision. If your goal is to rack up the handcounts and collect bets mutitabling is good.

I don't claim to be an authority on multitableing in any sense, just sharing my experiences.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:51 PM

How many monitors is everyone using? I was thinking about investing in 4 19" or 20" monitors. Has anyone had good results by playing a rediculous amount of tables(20+) and just nut peddling?
Old 08-24-2006, 03:00 PM

Just one. I can't see all of the tables at once.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:47 PM

Two monitors here..one for multitabling and one for "everything else" (browser, email, etc...).

Matter of taste (and number of tables) really.

Onnel
Old 08-24-2006, 05:34 PM

When I multitable, I find that 4 for limit and 2 or 3 for NL is my max. Any more than that and I can't pay attention and take notes, which I think is integral to having success.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I play on the OnGame network, meaning I can only do 4 tables max.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to 12-table on OnGame. I've since moved to PokerStars.

To get around the 4 table OnGame limit, just use the waiting lists. Joining a table from the waiting list doesn't trigger the "4 table rule" and you can join as many tables as you want.

For the OP, PokerTracker and a HUD (I use PAHUD) are absolutely essential for multi-tabling (I'd say they're essential even if you're not multi-tabling).

The real key to realise is that once you've played enough, the vast majority of hands are pretty automatic. The number of real decisions I have to make is very few. I heavily multi the $100NL and $200NL full ring on Stars and at those levels I get a hand I really have to think about maybe once a half hour. The rest are very much "been there, done that".

Now that's full ring and low limit. At 6-max play is much more dynamic (as well as faster) as are higher limits so at some point there's real diminishing returns to multi-tabling.

Just start slow and only add tables when you're confident with the number you're currently playing and you're not running into time problems.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How many monitors is everyone using? I was thinking about investing in 4 19" or 20" monitors. Has anyone had good results by playing a rediculous amount of tables(20+) and just nut peddling?

[/ QUOTE ]

On PS Rainkhan, sng strat, back in the day [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]