Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2006, 04:52 AM

Default Too Passive

25-50 live game, all players suck though a few of them win money. My image is solid and most of them are hoping I die soon and hopefully one of them will be inspired to make it happen.

Two limpers and I limp MP with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. The cutoff, perhaps the only quarter-decent player at the table whose play lies somewhere between weak-tight and very-weak-tight jacks it up. The button coldcalls, BB calls and we go to the flop six ways.

Flop 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Checked (including me) to the PF raiser who is directly to my left. He bets. The button calls, BB and one limper fold, the second limper checkraises. I merely call as does everyone else.

Turn 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Limper bets, I merely call as do the other two.

River K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

The limper bets, I plan on just calling but as I am putting my chips out the two remaining players give obvious folding tells so I raise.

FWIW, I was planning on checkraising the flop before the limper did. And despite my comments on his weakness, the preflop raiser is a sharp cat who pretty much knows that there's nothing I can realistically have that's not a set or a flush if I checkraise this flop and while I don't think this gets him to laydown an overpair, I definitely think a hand with the Q of spades hits the muck on the flop if I threebet.

-Michael
Old 08-24-2006, 05:00 AM

Default Re: Too Passive

I think this is okay, but you lost some bets from the limper if he flopped a small flush. Given your relative position, though, I am not sure there's anything you can really do about it. I mean the parlay that he does have the small flush, plays it very hard if you raise earlier, but doesn't play it hard later (most likely because one of the remaining 6 spades hits the board) is something of a long shot.

I'd probably be inclined to raise the river anyway regardless of the betting tells because there just isn't much for them to call with there and if one of them does have the Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], he just might overcall anyway. Whereas I think the limper will call you raise assuming he has a spade, because it will be psychologically harder for him to get away from the hand given the iniative he has invested in it.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:36 AM

i think your line is fine, but i'd likely pop the turn and hope the pfr has K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Old 08-24-2006, 06:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think your line is fine, but i'd likely pop the turn and hope the pfr has K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he has that as it would warrant more action on the flop. I think LMD played this hand perfectly collecting the right amount of overcalls after his flop thunder was stolen.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:34 AM

I think this line is fine. I was going to say jam it on the flop but the fact that the flop checkraiser is OOP vs. hero makes me like it a lot better.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:23 AM

This looks perfect to me. Weak tight initial pfr has a super narrow range in this game that is an overpair almost always and rarely AxKs. I seriously doubt he bets that flop otherwise. Given his flop play, it looks very much like he has an overpair with no spade and will call one bet on each street but never two. The other player has a spade or maybe a pair with a spade backup or maybe just a pair he wants to chase. He is the unknown here and we don't know if he will call 2 cold on the turn. I would assume that he would not when the mighty LMD raises the turn in a big multiway pot. Therefore, your line gets the most.

Nice work on the river looking left. Pretty much confims our read that weak tighty had an overpair with no spade.

The only question in my mind is if you 3 bet the flop will you be able to represent a pumped flush draw with the lone As and then get a turn CR in against the whole crew when weak tigty bets his overpair. That would be pretty fun but probably a little fps for this game which seems to play more straight forward loose passive.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:52 AM

I can't see a thing to criticize in either your play or your posting. The one possible exception, and it's a small one, is that while I agree a hand with the Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] hits the muck if you check-3bet the flop, you didn't know, at the time, that he didn't possibly have the K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. That said, I think your play here was A-1.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:28 PM

yea i agree with andy, you did a great job of maximizing your equity here.

theres no way you get this many bets out of the villain in one the end if you raise on the flop and it has an isolation effect.