Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2006, 11:13 AM

Default Did I misplay this top set?

Villian is aggressive and has shown down some less than premium hands in the short time since he has joined the table. He also bought in short.

Comments on all streets welcome, particularly the river.

Hero $99
Villian 44$

.50/1.00 Party Poker.

Hero is in the BB andis dealt K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Villian is in the cutoff.

5 players limp in and Hero checks.

Pot: 6.00

Flop

3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero checks. All players check to villian, who bets 2 dollars.
Hero re-raises 11.50.

Villian calls.
pot: 22$

Turn: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero checks.
Villian checks.

River: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero bets 10$
Villian Raises to 20$
hero folds.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Did I misplay this top set?

Yes.

This is the least dangerous board you can have with a set. Understand that your pot RR screams "SET." Therefore, checking the turn will never get a bet by villian. You have to bet that.

River is pretty marginal. Looks like he sucked out on you. However, you have to call these most times. If I knew your screename, for instance, I would make a note that you will fold for the min raise on the river without the nuts. Easy money, if, for example, I ever knew that you held a set early in a hand and suddenly the straight hit on the turn/river. . .
Old 08-24-2006, 01:10 PM

Flop checkraise is ugly, gives him an opportunity to get away; either bet out, or check call if you think someone is likely to bet and you want to be tricky (prefer to bet out, because the best that can happen is that you check-call the flop and then get to checkraise the turn, but you aren't likely to want to risk giving a free card on the turn unless it's very innocuous or you fill up). Turn check given flop action is horrible; you gave him the opportunity to get away from your monster on the relatively innocuous flop for (luckily he didn;t take it), and then you gave him a free card on the much more dangerous turn when the pot is much bigger.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:18 PM

Good point. I checked the turn because the only hand I could see calling that re-raise was 46. I hadn't really expected a call with that board. I was planning on betting any card except the 7. I guess my 10 bucks could have gone in alot stronger on the turn then the river though.

Do you think betting out on this dry-flop is better than a check-raise?

Would you check/call a medium raise on the river?
Old 08-24-2006, 01:22 PM

Yes, i would make a habit of check calling a 1/2 pot on the river. The only time I fold this particular board on the river is:
1): I gave my hand away as a set - as you did
2): he min raised.

I think check/calling hands like this on the river is a big play to pick up.

As to betting out 'dry,' understand that many players will call a pot raise with crap on the flop. It also doesn't give away your trips. It also gives you a chance to reraise, which is just fabulous.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:34 PM

i raise this preflop, but thats just my preference.

on the flop, i like the c/r because i use this move with my draws as well as sets.

on the turn, you must lead, he only had 44bbs in this hand, so try to get as many of them in as you can. your probably still ahead here, but if not you have 10 outs to improve. i bet the pot. as played i calll the river but i dont like it.