Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2006, 09:43 PM

Default strt vs. Flush brd

This is probably read dependent, but assuming you dont know villian well, is the general play to call the 2 big bets on 6th and 7th? Or do you find your self able to let go a strong made hand that is very likely second best?

Thanks,

Todd

7 Card Stud High ($0.50/$1.00), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.25 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.60 SB)

Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 2: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls

4th Street - (4.60 SB)

Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 2: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls

5th Street - (4.30 BB)

Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 2: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

6th Street - (7.30 BB)

Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks...HERO?
Seat 2: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 4: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

Old 08-22-2006, 10:03 PM

Default Re: strt vs. Flush brd

There are 6 dead diamonds that you theoretically know of, and this guy showed no strength before. In my book that makes it worth calling down.

In fact, I'd bet out on 5th. You have 3 diamonds showing too, if he raises you can probably safely fold given that this guy doesn't seem too aggressive in general.

As a caveat, I can't read .5/1 players at all [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 08-22-2006, 11:49 PM

I am very much in the habit of calling down open four-flushes with two pair. If you start with four to a flush, you know that you're about 47% to make it by the river, right? That's four flush cards plus three random cards, which is what you're looking at here. Well, the other guy probably didn't start with completely random cards, but the odds are against his having a flush, especially when you consider that diamonds are pretty dead. I definitely call this one down.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:44 AM

If it weren't for the fact that there are already ten diamonds accounted for, I might be able to fold your hand on 6th street. But in this circumstance, no way in hell do I fold it. As a minimum, I'd check-call 6th street and the river, and I might even be betting-out on 6th street.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:26 PM

I might even be betting-out on 6th street.

--

I considered whether betting on 6th, and folding to a raise was the better line, then ck calling both 6th and 7th. The problem is some villians will raise 6th with that board regardless of whether they have the flush yet. So worst case scenario, I call teh raise on 6th, and call another bet on 7th.

SO I figured with the diamonds largely dead taht I would go in for the minimum (2 bets) instead of risking the raise and being in for 3 bets.

All of course assuming that he has the flush.

T
Old 08-24-2006, 09:54 AM

See a showdown as cheaply as possible.