Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2006, 12:50 AM

Default An official Introduction to the MTT Forum

Greetings MTT Forum!

My name is Snarf.

I'm gonna be around the MTT forum some now, and goign to be posting some hands. Some likely ridiculously stupid/easy hands. lol. so I thought I would introduce myself to you guys.

I've been around 2p2 for a while now.
(check my REG date, I'm not even sure.)

I've spent the majority of my time and efforts in STTF learning/posting/community building there... and now I'm looking to branch out and test the MTT waters. (still like STT's, will still play them, to be clear.) I have always loved and played MTTs on occassion, but not that often at all. Lately I've made the switch to playing primarliy MTTs.

I'm a better player than my limits reflect. I am simply a person without the funds to magically have a BR, and - until lately - without the time to build a BR.

I used to be a pretty low volume player. I would say that I play often enough now to possibly just be an ordinary low volume player. HA! Seriously, lately I've been playing the most I've ever played, but I could easily suddenly take a couple weeks off. Its random and life - dependent.

I manage a small box grocery store, Aldi if you've heard of it. The job is good enough, I like it.

I've been focusing on the $4/180 person tourneys for several weeks now.

After around 70 or so, I have a 20% ITM including 9 FTs and 2 wins. ROI @ 120%

I've found some pretty heft leaks in my game that I am working on plugging. I'm doing better and getting better, and finally feel like I have a 'feel' for the flow of the game.

For one specific example... I've had to seriously tighten my calling ranges in the late push/fold stages. I was calling using ranges I figured people should be pushing in spots (figured based off of my STT experience). Come to realize MTTers, for lack of pushing experience, or for the increased time invested into the tourney, or whatever reason, push tighter than STTers (and tighter than I "feel like they should be.") So thats helped a lot.

Also, I've had some problems donking off LAGtard style a top 5 chip count to a fellow CL in the late stages. (Say down to 2 or 3 tables.)

I'm struggling with some really basic hands right now, and will likely post some soon. Be patient with my noobness, betterness will soon follow. I promise. :-)
Old 08-24-2006, 01:07 AM

Default Re: An official Introduction to the MTT Forum

CLIFF NOTES: Not new to poker. New to MTTs. Broke player who alternates between playing a modearetly low amount and an extremely low amount. Help me learn noobish stuff plz. I'll post hands soon.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:10 AM

Your last couple paragraphs really hit home for me. I was also a regular in the STT forum for a while before switching back to limit-ring for a while. Recently I was getting tired of the crazy 5/10 swings that you get from a .5BB/100 winrate and after winning a $50 MTT I played for fun, decided maybe I should just try playing MTTs for a while.

I've been focusing mainly on the 20/180s and any other small tourneys that start while I'm playing + a couple of the big Sundays because I like to gamble.

So far I've been relatively successful and I managed to post my first win today. Since I started keeping track I've played 48 20/180s with a 124% ROI, 7 FTs and 23% ITM although I have no clue what is sustainable in these things and obviously one win can make a huge difference in your ROI.

As for your observations about the differences in STTs and MTTs, I think you are spot on.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:15 AM

for a BR tard like myself, the ROI feature of MTTs is nice, variance aside.

When I started moving up in STTs it hit home for me that I couldn't handle the variance...stomach wise.

So for now the $4s and I are a great fit.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:09 AM

Welcome to the forum.

I started out STTing too and in STT forum, realized that STT is formulaic and boring, moved to learn and play to MMT field. Having said that - I still play a fair number of STT's just to maintain my bankroll and manage crazy MTT swings.

Post hands and get ready for some advice and some abuse (but with 2k in posts you probably know this already...)

Cheers!
Old 08-24-2006, 09:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For one specific example... I've had to seriously tighten my calling ranges in the late push/fold stages. I was calling using ranges I figured people should be pushing in spots (figured based off of my STT experience). Come to realize MTTers, for lack of pushing experience, or for the increased time invested into the tourney, or whatever reason, push tighter than STTers (and tighter than I "feel like they should be.")

[/ QUOTE ]
You're probably right about the $4/180s being tighter than they should be on the bubble/ITM - low-limit MTTers usually come in two variants, the way too loose/stupid pusher (which is usually easy to recognize) or way too weak-tight player. Lots of the last variant, learn to separate (and steal the hell out of the weak-tighties) them with care [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2006, 09:54 AM

Welcome aboard Snarf.

[ QUOTE ]
I started out STTing too and in STT forum, realized that STT is formulaic and boring, moved to learn and play to MMT field.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. I think a lot of mtt'ers and online poker players in general take this route.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:55 AM

Here is a listing of some strategy posts for the 180's

PS 180's