Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2006, 08:49 PM

Default Re: Anyone Else\'s XBox 360 Take a Dive this Week?

[ QUOTE ]
you guys payed around $500+ for the 360 rofl.. PS3 FTW

[/ QUOTE ]

yea because it will be cheap lol
Old 08-23-2006, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you guys payed around $500+ for the 360 rofl.. PS3 FTW

[/ QUOTE ]

PS3 is $200 more than the "pricy" 360.

Just wait for the Wii the price will be $200 or less.... which sure looks nice next to PS3's massive $600 tag.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:46 AM

Thanks for explaining this... I had a general idea, but the more I know about it the more confident I will be in performing it. My father-in-law has a hot air gun, so I'll probably give this a shot in a few days.

Otherwise, I was gonna just sell all the games, controllers, and WiFi antenna on eBay and wait for the PS3 in November. I didn't know the PS3 was gonna have BluRay capability built in, so that's cool. Best Buy has one BluRay player and its listed at $1,000. Wow.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:49 AM

What a coincidence - mine broke just earlier this week. Of course, that was partly due to me taking a hammer to it after making a bad save near the end of dead rising which would have forced me to play the whole thing again.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Otherwise, I was gonna just sell all the games, controllers, and WiFi antenna on eBay and wait for the PS3 in November. I didn't know the PS3 was gonna have BluRay capability built in, so that's cool. Best Buy has one BluRay player and its listed at $1,000. Wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

sony's loving it if the existence of one high-priced player can get you to buy a ps3.

fwiw, you can get new standalone hd-dvd players (toshiba/rca) for about $400.

first-generation players tend to be a lot worse than later models. to illustrate more meaningfully, the ps2's dvd player blows.

i think it's fine to see a high definition dvd player as a nice throw-in on an xbox360 (with the external hd-dvd player) or ps3, but i think it's pretty optimistic to think that it will compete with standalones for home theater. since this is high definition content, the quality matters a lot.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sony's loving it if the existence of one high-priced player can get you to buy a ps3.

you can get new standalone hd-dvd players (toshiba/rca) for about $400.

first-generation players tend to be a lot worse than later models. to illustrate more meaningfully, the ps2's dvd player blows.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought PS2(the day it came out) partly b/c of the DVD player. it does pretty much blow, but I expect the Ps3 DVD player to be much better.

edit: if a basic player costs $400, that still makes PS3 for $600 or whatever a pretty good deal.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:58 PM

i'm sure the ps3/xbox360 hd discs will be much better than the ps2 dvd player too, but there is a lifetime of historical evidence working against it:

1) first-generation players are much worse than later ones
2) integrated players (combo devices, consoles, etc) are much worse than standalones

a player that is both first-generation AND integrated doesn't have a lot of feathers in its cap. there's also another factor:

3) the market has not decided whether hd-dvd or blu-ray will win.

i think it's fine if you see it as a $200 thing that you will use temporarily until a victor emerges and you buy a standalone player. maybe they'll get it right the first time, and maybe the format you select will even win the format war. i just wouldn't buy with the expectation that you have any kind of home theater solution.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:59 PM

I hope you're patient if you're waiting:

Analyst slashes PS3 shipment forecast

And, this is providing that Sony meets their next launch date. I'm not saying it won't be great, but do you think it's going to so much better that it will justify the cost/wait difference over Xbox360?
Old 08-24-2006, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm sure the ps3/xbox360 hd discs will be much better than the ps2 dvd player too, but there is a lifetime of historical evidence working against it:

1) first-generation players are much worse than later ones
2) integrated players (combo devices, consoles, etc) are much worse than standalones

a player that is both first-generation AND integrated doesn't have a lot of feathers in its cap. there's also another factor:

3) the market has not decided whether hd-dvd or blu-ray will win.

i think it's fine if you see it as a $200 thing that you will use temporarily until a victor emerges and you buy a standalone player. maybe they'll get it right the first time, and maybe the format you select will even win the format war. i just wouldn't buy with the expectation that you have any kind of home theater solution.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with all of this, but I thought some kind of HD-DVD/Blu Ray format compromise had been struck? or am I making this up?
Old 08-24-2006, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with all of this, but I thought some kind of HD-DVD/Blu Ray format compromise had been struck? or am I making this up?

[/ QUOTE ]

there is no agreement between the two camps, and no compatibility with the two formats.