Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2006, 04:42 PM

Default Table Selection on PokerRoom network.

In the recent Haupt post about table selection, I asked how his advice which seemed particular accurate for Party, might work for Pokerroom sites, where the pool of players is much smaller, and often you only have 3 tables to choose from at a given limit. I was given some excellent answers, but I would like to share some extra advice that I have recently learned.

It had not occured to me that having a smaller pool of players, only a few thousand frequenting the limits of 1/2, 2/4, and 3/6, was actually an advantage. The recent addition of Poker Ace to my computer has seriously helped me understand this.

I can't believe how long I spent being a 'lazy' poker player! I didn't even realize that I often blanked out when I was not in a hand, just reflexively used semi-bluffs and value bets regardless of extra clues, and basically pulled in a tiny win rate while wondering how my standard and correct decisions didn't seem to pay off that much. For the last month, I decided to be involved ALL the time, taking extensive notes on every player in the Player Notes box, gathering information about how they bet, hand ranges, bluff capacity, PF looseness, etc. Combined with the Poker Ace stats overlaid right on the table, and my understanding of individual players has grown exponentially. It is because the pool of players is so small that this becomes an even greater advantage: I see many of them so often, every day even, that I begin to gain a sense of a player that is far greater than their stats.

Recently I've made excellent value bets when I might have checked, picked off bluffs, folded when a specific player led me to believe I was getting reverse implieds, waited for the turn to raise, and so on and so forth, all because I know specific players penchants.

When I select a table, I have flagged all players I want to play with, as well as those I don't. So I don't have to sit down first, read their notes and see their stats to know a) If the table is lucrative and b) where I want to sit. Plus I now feel comfortable moving between the 3 betting limits.

My win rate has substantially increased, and though it is only a small sampling, I am convinced it is because I have finally taken the active role in the games that we all should be doing. Talking on the phone, chatting in the boxes, drinking too much beer, changing the radio, and staring blankly at the screen are all sure ways of making sure we lose value.

I hope this helps those of you who, as I did, weren't totally aware of how much focusing intently on each and every hand (as best as you can do when multi-tabling at least) and gaining reads is a substantial part of winning this game. ABC poker alone just doesn't cut it at these tables anymore.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Table Selection on PokerRoom network.

Completely agree. I find it much easier to play on a site where I know the tendencies of a good deal of the players. Personally, I think that's one of the drawbacks of bigger sites like Party. You can jot down player notes on every person you play against and there are still many times, perhaps MOST of the time, you won't see any of them again at your table(s) the next time you log on. At least that has been my experience.

I played on InterPoker a couple of years ago and I had the exact same experience that you are having with PokerRoom. I'm MUCH more comfortable when I know the tendencies of the others at the table.

I also agree about eliminating distractions. I was usually pretty good but often found myself using the chat box and/or listening to music while I played. I didn't realize it at the time but it definitely had a negative impact on my concentration.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I also agree about eliminating distractions. I was usually pretty good but often found myself using the chat box and/or listening to music while I played. I didn't realize it at the time but it definitely had a negative impact on my concentration.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't play if your listening to music?? I have a hard time playing without any music but I guess to each his own.

To OP, your right they're definately are advantages to playing on smaller sites. I've started playing on Poker Room recently but I'm having a tough time dealing with software bugs/lags etc. The software becomes such a distraction that a few times I think I lost solely from "software tilt" if such a thing exists. Anyone else ever have a similar experience with this site(or any other?)and/or have suggestions?
Old 08-23-2006, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can't play if your listening to music?? I have a hard time playing without any music but I guess to each his own.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, music calms me down. My original point was that constantly changing stations or CDs or browing your itunes takes valuable attention away from the game.

[ QUOTE ]
To OP, your right they're definately are advantages to playing on smaller sites. I've started playing on Poker Room recently but I'm having a tough time dealing with software bugs/lags etc. The software becomes such a distraction that a few times I think I lost solely from "software tilt" if such a thing exists. Anyone else ever have a similar experience with this site(or any other?)and/or have suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Pokerroom sites can be pretty irritating sometimes. They are constantly slowing down, cards dissapear, 'phantom' cards can remain on the table, and sometimes the sites just mysteriously log you off of a table. But I've gotten used to it because the few times it actually costs me money are far outweighed by how lucrative the play is.

The other day, I was dealt pocket Aces, then all of a sudden, one ace magically disapeared! I took a deep breath and played it like pocket Aces, hoping that at showdown it wouldn't say, and [blank] shows... an Ace! But it turned out I won, and it was fine. Phew.

And as far as bugs, its still better than some sites I've played on. Hollywood Poker, IMO, is the best one, because support responds immediately and are very cool. It helps to keep me less pissed off. I guess its similar to being in traffic, no matter now angry you get, it won't go any faster. If you can just be patient with it, it'll pay off. Hope that helps, and I feel your pain.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, that sounds nuts doesn't it? When I was in school I always had to have some kind of background noise going when I was doing homework. Somehow that doesn't translate over to poker. I don't even really like to multi-table because then I can't get as good a read on my opponents as I would like. Geez... you would think I was diffusing a bomb, not playing poker.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, music calms me down. My original point was that constantly changing stations or CDs or browing your itunes takes valuable attention away from the game.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Pokerroom sites can be pretty irritating sometimes. They are constantly slowing down, cards dissapear, 'phantom' cards can remain on the table, and sometimes the sites just mysteriously log you off of a table. But I've gotten used to it because the few times it actually costs me money are far outweighed by how lucrative the play is.

The other day, I was dealt pocket Aces, then all of a sudden, one ace magically disapeared! I took a deep breath and played it like pocket Aces, hoping that at showdown it wouldn't say, and [blank] shows... an Ace! But it turned out I won, and it was fine. Phew.

And as far as bugs, its still better than some sites I've played on. Hollywood Poker, IMO, is the best one, because support responds immediately and are very cool. It helps to keep me less pissed off. I guess its similar to being in traffic, no matter now angry you get, it won't go any faster. If you can just be patient with it, it'll pay off. Hope that helps, and I feel your pain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good info on Hollywood. Do they have a lot of software issues? I was thinking of opening an account with them in the next few days. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-23-2006, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good info on Hollywood. Do they have a lot of software issues? I was thinking of opening an account with them in the next few days. Thanks in advance!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, its the same exact software as all the other pokerroom sites (europoker, holdem poker, poker loco, etc...), its just that support is cool. At PokerLoco, where I'm at until I clear my bonus, support is ghastly. Make sure to go to www.BonusWhores.com to get a good bonus deal. Or if you like Rakeback more, I think www.thisisthenuts.com is now offering it.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:55 PM

Oh yeah Holywood Poker is a great site. Easily the best of the Pokerroom skins. Like you say, much better support. Also, much better promotions.

I'll add that I think that Hollywood is the only Pokerroom skin that allows rakeback while you clear a bonus. That is, bonuses are not deducted from rakeback. This was certainly true when I played there. I haven't heard that things have changed. However, they may not offer you as many reload bonuses if you're getting rakeback too. This is something to talk to your affiliate about.

But yeah, I highly recommend Hollywood Poker.