Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2006, 05:43 PM

Default Re: Please help me fix a leak in my game

1 - Fold preflop. If you decide to call, I think a check/raise commits you to the pot, and you should know this. You might want to c/r AI yourself, even. He's a UTG minraiser, which means that he likely has overcards or an overpair, and betting half his stack invites him to come over the top with either. If he wasn't UTG, and it wasn't a minraise, I think I might c/r, but as it stands, I think you should just fold after his bet.

2-BB has an M of 6, which means that he's looking to push a wide range. Don't pick on his BB with this kind of hand. As played, you are definetly priced in, but you could avoid this spot altogether by just folding preflop or betting enough to put him all in.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ideal:

1 - fold preflop

2 - fold preflop or raise much more and call a BB push.

As played:

1 - fold

2 - fold

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding station.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ideal:

1 - fold preflop

2 - fold preflop or raise much more and call a BB push.

As played:

1 - fold

2 - fold

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding station.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. Hey...he wanted us to fix a "leak" in his game! His perceived leak was that he was risking too many "behind but priced in" calls near the bubble of MTTs.

so...yes...folding station. leak fixed.

be the first one all in, dont call and hope.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:09 PM

You shouldn't be checkraising middle pair without some knowledge about villain's behaviour. In general your kicker sucks, and you should be much more concerned with villain's treatment of prior hands rather than the fact you have a bdoor flush.

I raise call hand 2 as played. He doesn't have enough to make u fold, and your hand is too strong not to raise.

Taken as a whole the table should not expect to have much FE against you which is good for you, although you were probably behind in hand 1 (I assume you donkeyed him).
Old 08-24-2006, 11:53 AM

good call. i actually am very good at math, not sure how i blew that.
yep, i fold.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:43 PM

Wow...thanks for the quick and clear responses, guys. It was nice to get some real feedback without any BS.

Not coincidentally, IMO, I made my first FT in an online MTT in a while lastnight. Not a huge cash, but a good confidence builder for me. I've been killing live MTTs and getting killed in online MTTs, so it was nice to have a good result.

Again, thanks for the help. The feedback really is appreciated.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:49 PM

Everyone suggesting hand 2 is a fold is [censored] nuts.

Hand 1, why raise the flop? You open yourself up to being 3-bet. I like a call, and if he bets the turn, shove if you improve.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:55 PM

at a quick glance it looks to me that you should steal/call with weaker holdings less, especially against thinking-solid players. it's important to remember how you are being viewed by the other players especially in short-handed situations.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:56 PM

The weak bet on an all low card flop made me think he missed. Unless he has AA (maybe KK) why wouldn't bet bigger to protect QQ-TT? Turns out he had 99 and played it really well, disguising his hand. I was obviously dead to runner straight. Yuck.

Second hand, the guy flipped over AA and I was waaaay behind again.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The weak bet on an all low card flop made me think he missed. Unless he has AA (maybe KK) why wouldn't bet bigger to protect QQ-TT? Turns out he had 99 and played it really well, disguising his hand. I was obviously dead to runner straight. Yuck.

[/ QUOTE ]
You'll do better if you don't assume a small bet is a sign of weakness.
If for some reason I was in this hand, I would call the flop, and shove any 8/5/[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] turn (possibly even a 6 or 7).
I played a very similar hand in the Super Thursday I chopped. Here's the link. Go to hand 238.

[ QUOTE ]
Second hand, the guy flipped over AA and I was waaaay behind again.

[/ QUOTE ]
unlucky, you have a suited ace against an opponent who may think you are stealing and you're getting 2.25:1. this is never a fold.

and yes, quite frankly, part of MTTs is often making calls where you're pretty sure you're behind but the odds justify making the call. i've written about this before, i'll make a raise i think is +EV, and then if i get jammed at, my loose image (which loosens other peoples' range against me) combined with the pot odds makes a call +EV too. it's higher variance, higher volatility, but i usually look for those spots to find a hidden gamble and "slingshot" myself to the front of the pack where other people might just fold and take their O EV and move on to the next hand.