Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2006, 09:22 PM

Default Re: Event #41 Runner Up - Trip Report (Day 1) (VERY long)

good report, my buddy played in this event and went broke early with AK vs. JJ on a A J blank board.

I like your writing style, and congrats on the great finish.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That AKs hand is horrendous.

[/ QUOTE ]

which one? toward the middle (my hand) or toward the end (opponent hand)?

I'm assuming you meant the middle hand where my opponent called my AKs raise and all-in with A10. Yes, his line on this hand was pretty bad...but all in all he was not a bad player. He had played in 10 events up to that point and cashed in a few, and his plan was to either go into day 2 with an absolute monster stack or go home. He actually DID make it to Day 2, and the final table...and I played with him for several hours on Sunday. His play was much much different without the chiplead...rightly or wrongly. He played tight, almost too tight, at the final table and ended up getting blinded off in 8th.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he was talking about your opponent...

Nice read and cash, tho.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:09 PM

Great read, looking forward to pt2!
Old 08-19-2006, 04:37 PM

excellent report. I played in event 41 (table 77 seat 4) after winning my local game's cash satellite into a 1500 nl WSOP event. Sat next to Jennifer Tilly for the first 4 hours, DIDN'T spend the last few months on 2+2 or at the live tables sharpening my game (definitely a -EV decision by me) and went out with a whimper at the 2nd break because i allowed myself to let the facts that she was to my right and an aggressive europro was 2 seats to my left and i was card dead for the whole 4 hours keep me from being aggressive enough to take down some of the weak tight hands that went on at my table. Like you it was my first big buy in event, unlike you, it was my first live event outside of my local group's single table monthly game and like you, i had an absolute blast. I look forward to part two and would love, with your permission, to illuminate some of late day one as i saw it from the rail, including the end of Matusow, the bluff of Phil, the Phil and Steve show at their table late into the night (which, since there were no cameras and no reporters was a great loss for the poker viewing world)
Old 08-22-2006, 05:10 AM

You're lucky your table started late. Mine started pretty much right on time. The tables were initially separated into two groups and apparently your group got a late start for some reason.

Nobody famous at my tables. Greenstein at the table behind and Hellmuth at the table in front is as close as I got.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:03 AM

Excellent report and looking forward to the rest.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:34 PM

Great report - so where's day 2?

I'm bored at work and would love to read the conclusion... [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 08-22-2006, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Someone at the table calls a clock, the floorman comes over, but before the countdown begins he mucks AcKc face up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great read, but man is live different. Online, no one EVER folds AK preflop. 7 people could have gone all in in front of him, and AK would still call [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 08-23-2006, 04:01 PM

Solid report, good writing with atmosphere and emotion, plus good play. Looking forward to #2 and very envious.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Someone at the table calls a clock, the floorman comes over, but before the countdown begins he mucks AcKc face up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great read, but man is live different. Online, no one EVER folds AK preflop. 7 people could have gone all in in front of him, and AK would still call [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

guy was VERY tight/passive. He had his blinds whittled away for over an hour. He looked like he was getting a bit impatient waiting for a hand. I still believe (even knowing now he had AK) the guy was reluctant to raise more that 3XBB, as proven by his little tirade at the dealer. Plus he was repeatedly saying he "wasn't a gambler," "didn't like coinflips," "just trying to get as far as possible," "doing this for his family," etc.

So I thought my read was solid.

By the way...I am almost finished with Day 2 and it will be up shortly.

Thanks for all the compliments and congrats guys...I really appreciate it. It is fun writing this out and being able to share, because it helps me re-live the experience, which was without a doubt one of the most exciting of my life.