Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2006, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Would this be considered colluding?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I stopped reading here.

[ QUOTE ]
I start pushing every hand he folds, forcing everyone to fold no matter what their cards. Kinda mean and pointless of me, but hey...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just going to assume the rest of the post will be completely retarded based on that.

[/ QUOTE ]

It took you THAT long? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, I should have known just based on the title.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man you guys are brutal. I have feelings too you know...
Old 08-23-2006, 03:34 PM

I don't know that anyone is trying to be rude, it just isn't everyday that questions like this make their way onto an otherwise (mostly) serious discussion board. And I don't say that to be mean, I say it because the line you are taking is obviously antithetical to what is considered proper, +EV play in a satellite environment.

Basically, the answer to your question has already been posted. No, it isn't collusion. Period.

To expand a bit though, it may not be a collusion, but it certainly isn't a good idea either. You are taking these actions basically for the thrill of being a prick, or to help a weak player take the place of a stronger one in the event to come.

To put a fine point on it, risking your seat for the first goal (being a prick) is childish, immature, and (most importantly to a poker discussion) -EV. Doing it for the second reason could not only be considered unethical, but is also still a -EV play. Trying to get one more fish into the larger event will have one of two possible results:

1) You actually end up losing your seat in the effort.

2) You succeed, you and the fish both get in, and the net increase in $EV for your actions is approximately nil.

So, my advice is that if you are having trouble staying entertained by playing the game properly, and only find enjoyment in attempting to ruin someone else's experience, stop playing poker and go back to playing WoW or Counterstrike. You'll lose less money that way in the long run.

--TFGoose
Old 08-23-2006, 04:02 PM

If that happened at a table I was at, I'd be pissed. Who does that anyway? Open up internet checkers on the side or something.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:07 PM

it would be considered you being a moron
Old 08-23-2006, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, my advice is that if you are having trouble staying entertained by playing the game properly, and only find enjoyment in attempting to ruin someone else's experience, stop playing poker and go back to playing WoW or Counterstrike. You'll lose less money that way in the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]

So this is a poker etiquette question? I don't play poker to be cordial to my opposition nor to ensure they have a good "experience." Also note that this is a $10 satellite tourny; I would be crazy to play this way in a cash tournament, so I don't think "losing money" is relevant except if you want to criticize my abilities when I play "standard."

No one said this was +EV. But its really not as -EV as some people think. I quit playing this way as soon as I am doubled-through. It would take a mega-comeback to take me out with everyone's M's so low and everyone playing so tight.

If I like to blow off some steam by toying with my table, so be it. I'm surprised that so few people have found this situation comical and instead seem offended by it.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So this is a poker etiquette question? I don't play poker to be cordial to my opposition nor to ensure they have a good "experience." Also note that this is a $10 satellite tourny; I would be crazy to play this way in a cash tournament, so I don't think "losing money" is relevant except if you want to criticize my abilities when I play "standard."

[/ QUOTE ]

You're actually more crazy to play this way in a satellite as opposed to a regular tournament, because there is NO incentive for you to get more chips in the sat as you described the conditions. If you are in 1st by a wide margin, there are multiple spots paid, and only 1 more person needs to get knocked out for you to end the tournament, even folding aces is probably correct. Every prize is worth the same. Why do you need more chips? So you can feel good about the size of your stack? Oh boy, extra worthless virtual chips!!!

So not only are you being an ass in this situation, you don't even understand why.
[ QUOTE ]
No one said this was +EV. But its really not as -EV as some people think. I quit playing this way as soon as I am doubled-through. It would take a mega-comeback to take me out with everyone's M's so low and everyone playing so tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's insanely, incredibly, hugely -$EV. Doing anything other than clicking the "post and fold" button is -$EV.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I like to blow off some steam by toying with my table, so be it. I'm surprised that so few people have found this situation comical and instead seem offended by it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've made it plainly clear that one of your primary motivations for making this type of play is to be a prick, or otherwise "toy with the table". I'm sorry, but you're right, I don't see that as humorous. There are plenty of other ways to have fun at a table that neither purposefully sour the game for others, nor decrease your own chances of successfully winning the event.

The posts on this board are about playing proper poker, making good decisions that will reflect a nice profit in the long run. You are advocating playing in a way that not only has less $EV than basically clicking "Sit Out" and having a burger, but also romanticizes being a jerk just for the heck of it.

Regardless of how unlikely it is that someone will come back and beat you out of a seat if you play this way (and it's not THAT unlikely by the way), it is still far less unlikely that you will lose if you didn't do this. That's why the play is wrong... and it's only compounded by the fact that you're only doing it to get some grins off of others' misery.

--TFGoose

Edit: for grammar again... man I'm on a roll today
Old 08-23-2006, 04:24 PM

If you wrote this to be comical maybe you should not have posted it in the MTT strategy forum...

People here take new ideas seriously and this one is seriously not good, your last post basically states that the reason you do this is to be a prick. And this is extremely -EV, how does it benefit you at all. You will more than likely never play w/ any of the players in the regualar tourney.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:57 PM

who cares?

let the guy have fun at his $10 tourney.

No it's not collusion.

Don't get so offended over one thread. There are 10 billion other threads where you can go over hand after hand in "serious discussion."
Old 08-23-2006, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I stopped reading here.

[ QUOTE ]
I start pushing every hand he folds, forcing everyone to fold no matter what their cards. Kinda mean and pointless of me, but hey...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just going to assume the rest of the post will be completely retarded based on that.

[/ QUOTE ]

It took you THAT long? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, I should have known just based on the title.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man you guys are brutal. I have feelings too you know...

[/ QUOTE ]

Feelings...Im not sure you have a central nervous system.