Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2006, 09:12 AM

Default $22 PokerStars -- Pocket 10s facing early raise on bubble

I'm looking for some advice here. Villian hasn't shown down many hands at this point, so no great read. He flopped a few monsters early to give himself that chip stack. Should I have pushed pre-flop instead of calling? The existence of the short stack had me playing a bit tentatively, and I was just hoping to hit a 10 on the flop.

The fold after the flop is pathetically weak.

I'd appreciate any comments.

PokerStars (4 handed) blinds 75/150
UTG (4515)
BUT (995)
Hero (3510)
BB (4480)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises 450</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero (poster) calls 375, BB calls 300.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets 300</font>, Hero folds, BB folds.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:41 AM

Default Re: $22 PokerStars -- Pocket 10s facing early raise on bubble

Push/reraise or Fold Preflop calling is by far the worst option....I know Ill get flamed for it but I would have no problem waiting on the short stack to be forced into making a move and hope for the best...

...His range is fairly broad here as its 4 handed.

As played, I woulda folded also.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:08 PM

How active has villian been?? If he has been real dead, I might just fold pf or flat call (not for set value, for a good flop).

If he has been more active, just push over him. As played, I think this is a good flop for you. Odds are he doesn't have a K (in a $22 they usually check trips). If he's a weak player, I'd probably check-raise him. If he is stronger and won't believe your check raise, I probably am calling the flop and leading out with a faily large bet on most turn cards. You're deep enough to play some poker without committing your stack and going broke.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:20 PM

I would have led that flop for about 500 (probe bet). It's a really good flop for you. Only a higher pair or a K beats you. If you're raised you still have enough chips to fold.

Given you checked, you're getting 5-1 on that 300 bet by UTG, which is great odds. I think you need to either call and lead a safe turn for a probe or raise right there to about 700-800.

Oh, preflop: The call doesn't bother me. But if you got a flop you liked, you can figure 1/3-1/2 the pot is going in when you lead a good flop. If you know that, you might take those chips and see if you can win it preflop with a raise to 1200 or so.

My problem is that really starts to tie you to the pot if he calls, and he's deep enough to call. Another poster said calling preflop is worst than push or fold, but with 20+ BB each I'm not to keep on dumping a lot of chips in preflop, on the bubble, with TT. Paying 375 chips to see a flop seems reasonable, given you'll really like about 1/2 the flops.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:24 PM

Call preflop. Reraising is asking for trouble. Folding is putrid. Call flop - you don't want to bloat the pot and the call might scare him.

Ryan
Old 08-23-2006, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call preflop. Reraising is asking for trouble. Folding is putrid. Call flop - you don't want to bloat the pot and the call might scare him.

Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect line, IMHO.
You could push if he had been raising pf consistently.