Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2006, 11:59 AM

Default Data mining & buddylist question

Lately i've found myself buddylisting a lot of players purely on the basis of stats that i've gleaned through datamining. Do you think this is a wide practice? Does anyone else do this? If so what are the minimum stats that would make you buddylist him without ever seen him play?
Old 08-23-2006, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Data mining & buddylist question

I pretty much find bad preflop players everywhere. The players I buddy list and actively stalk are the ones that GIVE money away postflop.

Well, they play bad post flop everywhere too, so I mean the really really bad post flop players.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:08 PM

I run a data mining related website so I am biased, but I think it is a great thing for your table selection and not as many people do it as would benefit from it!

The stats that "define a fish" i.e. someone worth buddy-listing is a subject of great debate, and is going to be the focus of one of my next articles.
I posted a thread in Internet Gambling and received mainly sarky responses along the lines of "you can't tell a fish from his stats", which I believe to be untrue - however, getting it down to a standard set of fish parameters needs even more data than I have at the moment, particularly since the very worst players tend to lose their money too quickly to get enough hands on them!

Also, it obviously depends if you are playing full-ring or short-handed (6- or 5-max). I play full-ring (NL50, just moving to NL100 this week), and aim to sit at the same table as someone with >40% VPIP if possible; to their left if they have PFR over 10%. I also look for players with aberrant WTSD (<20% or >28%) or extremely high AF (>4) as these styles are easily exploitable.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The stats that "define a fish" i.e. someone worth buddy-listing is a subject of great debate, and is going to be the focus of one of my next articles.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd appreciate that, bar VPIP I haven't a scooby about what a fish's stats look like.

[ QUOTE ]
"you can't tell a fish from his stats"

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously this is something i have already confessed to not being an expert on but I personally have never seen a decent 85/5/0.5, In my experience you can often tell a fish just from vpip/pfr/agg.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:14 PM

Right now my buddylist consists mainly of people with VPIP over 70% over a sample of 50 hands. That's the datamined part. The rest are people I've played with who I feel are extremely exploitable and who I like seeing at my tables.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:16 PM

amen luke. there's a reason PT gave folks with higher than 30 VPIP and no agg a fish icon.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:36 PM

I usually buddylist the players that are:

1) calling my pf raises with garbage and calling any cont (or real) bet with nothing.
2) someone that is a post-flop calling station
3) someone that is willing to go all in with TPTK or less
4) someone who i've just figured out and have good notes on

I tend not to do it on stats, but proven poor play
Old 08-23-2006, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I pretty much find bad preflop players everywhere. The players I buddy list and actively stalk are the ones that GIVE money away postflop.

Well, they play bad post flop everywhere too, so I mean the really really bad post flop players.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is priceless. It is the simple truth and it made me smile.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:21 PM

i currently use IdleMiner on party and randomly take down hand numbers at OnGame and PRFetch some hands into my db.

If I am not playing, I might as well be collecting info.
I buddylist the +60% VPIP at full ring and +75% at 6max. I also look for guys who WTSD% is greater than 40% with VPIP's that high. It is near impossible to play that many hands and goto showdown that much. I also like W$SD to be low.

However, this is not really the use of my datamining.
It is like the third, minor usage.

Most of my buddy list comes from actual play verse the villians and having a good feel for were they are at in a hand. YOu wouldn't believe the number of weak-tight nits that I have on my buddylist. Predictability and stupidity are the traits I look for.

Oh yeah, why do I mine then?

I like having solid stats on the common opponents---it really helps to have 2000 hand samples verse 200 hand ones.

I also track the better players and will occasionally watch one of their sessions in the hand replayer to see how they make their cash.