Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2006, 05:21 PM

Default Re: OOT, help me make my girlfriend dinner

Alton Brown recipes

Alton's recipes are almost always good and generally easy to prepare. If you are looking for steak, the pan seared rib eye is trivial to make and quite good.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:22 PM

Whipped cream bikini?
Old 08-22-2006, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whipped cream bikini?

[/ QUOTE ]

should i wear the whipped cream, then?

also, i dont think my stove-top counts as a grill, does it? so when we talk about steaks, i have this:

not this:

disclaimer: i do not own that lame stove top.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:41 PM

How about something simple like chicken fettuccini alfredo? Sounds like that's something you're looking for, or something a little nicer?
Old 08-22-2006, 05:52 PM

that would be fine, how simple is that to make, though? ehh i'm sure i can find it online but i'd like to hear your favorite recipe for it, please.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:30 PM

having more that one course is always impressive as well so you might want to think about an easy starter as well, especially if you pick something delicious that is just a matter of throwing good ingredients together. For example, it is a great time of year for a good Caprese salad. Find some really good tomatoes - heirloom are in seaosn if you can get them - and some mozzarella di bufala (made from buffalo milk) or burrata (mozzarella with added cream). Add some fresh basil, salt, pepper and a generous slug of olive oil and you have a totally delicious starter.

The key to this is the quality of the tomatoes and mozzarella. If the tomatoes don't smell of anything then don't buy them. And don't settle for most domestic mozzarella. but if you have good speciality stores, a farmer's market or even a Whole Foods or Trader Joes near you this couldn't be easier.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:34 PM

Crock Pot Stew
Old 08-22-2006, 06:35 PM

My go to when I was younger was always a chicken pasta dish.

A couple of chickens breasts, any nice pasta, a can of spaghetti sauce. Get a nice can of sauce, now they have all sorts of choices, look for something like a red pepper sauce or a arrabiata sauce. Cut the chicken up into small pieces, cook them in a sauce pan until they are white on all sides. While they are cooking you can add a bit of garlic and or olive oil to them if you want. After the chicken is white add the sauce to the chicken and simmer the sauce to finish cooking the chicken. Serve over the pasta, bonus points if you get some fresh parmigian cheese to grate.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:36 PM

without knowing her or her tastes, here's the pretty much standard meal I'd make for company.

Fried chicken: get some boneless, skinless chicken breasts, some olive oil, and some Dixie Fry. Heat the oil, coat the chicken in dixie fry and toss it in, turning it over often enough to not burn the edges. If the breasts are too thick, you might want to slice them smaller, because frying thick pieces of meat can be a pain in the ass.

Cornbread: Get the stuff in a box. Requires usually some milk and an egg. Not all that much work, but delicious fresh out of the oven.

Salad: You know the drill.

Desert: Either pecan pie or some sort of flavored cheesecake.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My go to when I was younger was always a chicken pasta dish.

A couple of chickens breasts, any nice pasta, a can of spaghetti sauce. Get a nice can of sauce, now they have all sorts of choices, look for something like a red pepper sauce or a arrabiata sauce. Cut the chicken up into small pieces, cook them in a sauce pan until they are white on all sides. While they are cooking you can add a bit of garlic and or olive oil to them if you want. After the chicken is white add the sauce to the chicken and simmer the sauce to finish cooking the chicken. Serve over the pasta, bonus points if you get some fresh parmigian cheese to grate.

[/ QUOTE ]

this sounds really good. any particular pasta you like?