Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Group 2 - One vs. Five
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back 169 80.48%
Planet of the Apes (1968) 41 19.52%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-22-2006, 11:14 AM

Default Common Blind Quasi Stealing Situations

I find myself in this position all the time and always have questions on how I played it after the fact.

Assume a standard Party 10/20 6 handed game - you are in the CO and open raise with KJo, button and SB fold, BB Calls (assume BB is a TAG with 28/18/2.2 stats, average stats for seeing show down, average stats for check raising, you have no special reads on the guy other than his stats).

Assume you bet the flop and are check raised with the following boards - what's your play?

Assuming you continue with the hand any thoughts as to how to handle a blank turn facing the BB's lead......
Old 08-22-2006, 11:31 AM

Default Re: Common Blind Quasi Stealing Situations

I
t

D
e
p
e
n
d
s
Old 08-22-2006, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I
t

D
e
p
e
n
d
s

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly it depends, you can answer any poker question with it depends, however you must have a 'stadard' line assuming no reads other than stats (and if not standard then a line that you use most often)
Old 08-22-2006, 11:42 AM

with no read I fold all of these
Old 08-22-2006, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So against YOU or a player like you, it makes sense for BB to c/r every flop.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea that was kinda the point of my post - my 'default' is to fold most of these (not all) - however I feel like I am getting run over by the BB CR......I have also be trying some checks on the flop to change things up (whether I hit or not)......it is a tough spot that comes up allot in 5-6 max 10/20+ games.....and I hate it!
Old 08-22-2006, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Clearly it depends, you can answer any poker question with it depends, however you must have a 'stadard' line assuming no reads other than stats (and if not standard then a line that you use most often)

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
assume BB is a TAG with 28/18/2.2 stats, average stats for seeing show down, average stats for check raising, you have no special reads on the guy other than his stats

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a read, you just don't have any special reads. Certainly this player is capable of check raising you with any pair, strong draws, and occasionally air. If all your stats say he is not doing anything too much, then your standard play should be to fold. If you start getting played back at more than 1/3 of the time you can suspect that something is up and react accordingly.

Some other things to consider... what are your stats? Is your WTSD 32% or 40%? How much are you stealing? What range do you think he has when he check-raises an Ace high two tone flop, what would you do if you had 66, and how does he play Ax in the BB when he flops an ace? Can you peel and fold certain turn cards. Do you have effective bluff ace or queen outs against this player?

Once you can start answering those questions, you can do things other than fold. I'd peel the 46T board though getting 7-1.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea that was kinda the point of my post - my 'default' is to fold most of these (not all) - however I feel like I am getting run over by the BB CR......I have also be trying some checks on the flop to change things up (whether I hit or not)......it is a tough spot that comes up allot in 5-6 max 10/20+ games.....and I hate it!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I say "it depends". Both calling down too much and folding too much are extremely expolitable. So I think it's particularly important to trust your gut and vary your play in these situations.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:30 PM

I am a bit surprised that I voted with the majority in all of those (2 call, the rest fold). Does that make me good or just predictable?