Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2006, 10:13 AM

Default Making moves

when i get short stacked or in the orange/red zone i ofter hear its time to make moves. So with any deceant cards i start pushing all in and usually heading home. Is this what is meant my by making moves? Or should i just be seeing more flops hoping to flop a set etc.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:23 AM

Default Re: Making moves

When you're short stack you want to be maxing FE by open pushing all-in, ideally in LP so you have less players to act behind you.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:26 AM

When you get short, looking to see flop is exactly what you not shall look for. You're gonna push, be happy if you take the blinds but have some kind of chance if it's taken to showdown (eg, 9ts could be a perfect hand to push from MP if the blinds are approaching, you have an M of let's 5 say and the blinds will raise within 2 minutes.)
Old 08-22-2006, 10:40 AM

No, as Vraket said, you should not limp in order to see many flops. In that way, your stack would shrink pretty fast. You should push your stack and pick up the blinds often enough to keep away from the red zone. Two things happen, you either get called and bust, or you double up and may be able to play poker again. What I try to keep in mind is...

a) Don't wait too long before you start pushing. You should have a stack large enough to inflict damage on the stacks trying to call you.

b) It's not about the cards you hold, it's about situations. Your position, your opponents image and their stack sizes are more important when you decide to push or not. Also, I'd rather push hands like T8 than A3 since people are more likely to call you with hands that dominate weak aces.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I'd rather push hands like T8 than A3 since people are more likely to call you with hands that dominate weak aces.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sucking out with 98s vs. AJo is sooooo delicious and really helps your next bet when you push with KK . . .
Old 08-22-2006, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, I'd rather push hands like T8 than A3 since people are more likely to call you with hands that dominate weak aces.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sucking out with 98s vs. AJo is sooooo delicious and really helps your next bet when you push with KK . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, yes, that's another good reason... People tend to remember those hands forever and you can benefit from it for hours. I remember being very shortstacked, then sucked out twice within a minute. After that, people paid off my big hands all the way to the final table.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

b) It's not about the cards you hold, it's about situations. Your position, your opponents image and their stack sizes are more important when you decide to push or not. Also, I'd rather push hands like T8 than A3 since people are more likely to call you with hands that dominate weak aces.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're pushing with M of 3-8 then the above statement is true. If your M is below 3, the reverse is true.

Do you see why?...
Old 08-22-2006, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're pushing with M of 3-8 then the above statement is true. If your M is below 3, the reverse is true.

Do you see why?...

[/ QUOTE ]

B/C when your M < 3, you are going to get called.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you see why?...

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course... If your M is below 3, you'll get called anyway and with any hand so it's better to push a hand that fare good against "any two". But, I'm more often in the 3-8 range, that's why I commented on it. If I'm down below 3, it's only because I just lost an all-in situation against someone with a smaller stack.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you see why?...

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course... If your M is below 3, you'll get called anyway and with any hand so it's better to push a hand that fare good against "any two". But, I'm more often in the 3-8 range, that's why I commented on it. If I'm down below 3, it's only because I just lost an all-in situation against someone with a smaller stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure YOU know what's it about, but thought it worthwile to mention it for the OP...