Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2006, 01:14 PM

Default Structured Hand Analysis for SNG\'s

I recently read Dan Harringtons 2nd book on NLH. There is a section where he describes how to use "Structured Hand Analysis" to determine the profitability of moving in with any two paticular cards in different situations. I found it very interesting, but have questions about its accuracy in some sng situations.

For example, lets say that we determine that moving in with JTs is profitable when four handed, we are in the SB, all players have folded to us, the big blind is $300, and all players having average stacks, and will call with reasonable hands.

So we know that the moving in play earns more chips than it loses in the long run in this situation. However, could the play still be wrong?

The problem I see is that we are right on the bubble and busting out here will result in a total loss of equity. While the play may have +EV chipwise, is it actually the best play when you consider the money payouts?

Would it not be necessary to somehow factor in the cash payouts to determine best play?

Thanks to anyone who can contribute!!!

Guy.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Structured Hand Analysis for SNG\'s

Hm, this is a very interesting new concept.

You might be on to something!
Old 08-21-2006, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL

Yeah, in addition to the massive amounts of discussion on ICM here (which is what you're talking about), even if you just use HOH as a reference then you can check HOH3 to see how things change in SNGs due to payout considerations.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed, can you elaborate on the topic of pushing all in based on stack equity? /sarcasm

read the FAQ bud, youll find the talk about ICM and the whole pushbotting thing in SNGs, and this will likely answer any questions you have, as will the numerous posts in this forum regarding it.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL

Yeah, in addition to the massive amounts of discussion on ICM here (which is what you're talking about), even if you just use HOH as a reference then you can check HOH3 to see how things change in SNGs due to payout considerations.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP, do yourself a favor and read these forums instead of HOH if you plan on concentrating on SNG's. HOH is excellent for MTT's but there are some glaring errors when applied to SNG's. Luckily you have found the right place and your thought process shows that you are already on the right path.

rvg
Old 08-21-2006, 01:26 PM

Wouldn't it be great if someone did all the math for you.

http://sitngo-analyzer.com/
Old 08-21-2006, 01:27 PM

Old 08-21-2006, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

OP, do yourself a favor and read these forums instead of HOH if you plan on concentrating on SNG's. HOH is excellent for MTT's but there are some glaring errors when applied to SNG's. Luckily you have found the right place and your thought process shows that you are already on the right path.

rvg

[/ QUOTE ]
HOH1-HOH2 are MTT specific material and most of the concepts are inapplicable to SNGs, but HOH3 has a chapter on SNGs that's based on ICM and as an introduction to the concept is adequate.

however that's really the only chapter in that book worth anything (and if you've read these forums often you don't need that chapter either).
Old 08-21-2006, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

rvg

[/ QUOTE ]
HOH1-HOH2 are MTT specific material and most of the concepts are inapplicable to SNGs, but HOH3 has a chapter on SNGs that's based on ICM and as an introduction to the concept is adequate.

however that's really the only chapter in that book worth anything (and if you've read these forums often you don't need that chapter either).

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read 1 and 2 and I recall Curtains saying that HOH 3 was flawed in some areas relating to SNG's but I guess it might be a good introduction into these concepts.

rvg
Old 08-21-2006, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Luckily you have found the right place and your thought process shows that you are already on the right path.

rvg

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post, rvg. I read the OP and remembered that when I found this site and read the posts my previous, "uneducated" thoughts on how SNGs work were crystallized. It is nice to think of some players having a priori knowledge of the subject, then discovering the tools and language necessary to truly advance. Good luck, OP.

Justin