Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2006, 02:28 AM

Default Re: Cool article on the old NYC Club B&M Scene.

[ QUOTE ]
After reading this and the Andy Beal coverage, I think I have to take Bluff a lot more seriously. Excellent article and analysis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of all the non-CP mags I've read/gotten out of poker rooms, Bluff has been the only magazine that got me to seek out a second issue and then more for future reading.

I've found Bluff to have a couple solid articles, features, and newsbits that wouldn't be found in CP, such as the Beal thing, plus their online coverage which may not be up-to-par with what can be found on the Web, but miles ahead of any coverage CP bothers to give it.

The layouts in the mag are a little bit "busy" for me in spots, but that's nitpicking. In some cases Bluff has been a better read than CP. It's a very good #2 right now that's easily got the best shot of toppling CP.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
After reading this and the Andy Beal coverage, I think I have to take Bluff a lot more seriously. Excellent article and analysis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of all the non-CP mags I've read/gotten out of poker rooms, Bluff has been the only magazine that got me to seek out a second issue and then more for future reading.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bluff really surprised me. I found myself reading and enjoying most of the articles in the last issue. I'm not much of a pro poker player fan, but the profiles of Laak and Bloch and Corkins were actually interesting, and the NY Clubs article was great. I coulda done without the Wil Wheaton article, but hey...can't hit 'em all outta the park.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:57 AM

I was disappointed with the article, but for entirely different reasons.

The writer is clearly new to the NYC poker scene, and so his discussion is limited to the scene as it is now, and as it was maybe a year or two ago.

I'd love it if someone would write a history of NYC poker, especially as it was leading up to the movie Rounders. Peter Allson's book goes into it a little, but just teases us with his descriptions of characters like the Hanley brothers. Those clubs and those days were so much fun and so filled with drama at the end, it'd make a great story all on its own.

Not only that, but a similar discussion of how the games fared in the old days back when Pot Limit was THE game in NYC and how many players went bust paying tuition in those games would be similarly instructive.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was disappointed with the article, but for entirely different reasons.

The writer is clearly new to the NYC poker scene, and so his discussion is limited to the scene as it is now, and as it was maybe a year or two ago.

I'd love it if someone would write a history of NYC poker, especially as it was leading up to the movie Rounders. Peter Allson's book goes into it a little, but just teases us with his descriptions of characters like the Hanley brothers. Those clubs and those days were so much fun and so filled with drama at the end, it'd make a great story all on its own.

Not only that, but a similar discussion of how the games fared in the old days back when Pot Limit was THE game in NYC and how many players went bust paying tuition in those games would be similarly instructive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hrmph.

I'd love to read something about those days as it precedes my interest in poker.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:13 AM

This guy should stop by the Wynn.