Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2006, 09:58 PM

Default staking other players, making a fair deal

I'm planning on staking one of my friends for SH NL100. I want to make a fair deal, however, this is my first time staking someone, and I have no idea as to how to set up a fair deal for both of us.

He is a very successfull LAG (he very much know what he is doing) and could probably be earning good money at higher stakes, but since he is pretty bad at bankroll management, he isn't...

My current plan is to give him 1000$, have him play 10,000 hands and then split the profits 50/50. If he loose, I will be stuck with the losses.

Is this a fair deal? Any other thoughts or general advice for a first time staker?
Old 08-21-2006, 12:04 AM

Default Re: staking other players, making a fair deal

A) Why are you under-rolling him for the limit?
B) What makes you think he won't try bigger limits since he's bad at bankroll management?
C) 10,000 hands…? Why are you staking him for three days?
D) Everything else sounds fine.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:01 AM

you need another clause or two. imagine its hand 10,000 and your buddy is stuck 80$ total but he has a big 300$ stack at the table of this 10Kth hand. he gets dealt 23s on the button and UTG open pushes allin for 400$+. obviously he should call, he is freerolling, he has a chance at 110$ profit if he wins and down nothing if he loses.

ie you should have the option of staking in for an extra 10K hands regardless of the results if you tell him before the 9K hand mark. that might help, but there are probably other safeguards you should have as well
Old 08-21-2006, 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you need another clause or two. imagine its hand 10,000 and your buddy is stuck 80$ total but he has a big 300$ stack at the table of this 10Kth hand. he gets dealt 23s on the button and UTG open pushes allin for 400$+. obviously he should call, he is freerolling, he has a chance at 110$ profit if he wins and down nothing if he loses.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sigh...
Old 08-21-2006, 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

ie you should have the option of staking in for an extra 10K hands regardless of the results if you tell him before the 9K hand mark. that might help, but there are probably other safeguards you should have as well

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people value friendship, apparently you are not one of them...
Old 08-21-2006, 09:43 AM

A) Why are you under-rolling him for the limit?
No particular reason. Would 3000$ be a better amount?

B) What makes you think he won't try bigger limits since he's bad at bankroll management?
He won't. I will be keeping him on a short leash, if he does I'll rip his [censored] heart out. Also, this is taking place on a seperate account, so if he really has to play higher, he can go play at one of his other accounts, which he will have money at.

C) 10,000 hands…? Why are you staking him for three days?
I wanted a database of 10,000 of his hands, and he suggested that I stake him for it. Should I go for 50.000 hands instead and leave the deal open ended, so we can extend it.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:01 AM

If Im ever stacking someone, its because I know I don't need to work out terms, and that they'll pay me back with an amount they'd know to be reasonable for the expense of me lending them the money.

If I had to work out a 'clause', I'd forget it, they're not close enough to me.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If Im ever stacking someone, its because I know I don't need to work out terms, and that they'll pay me back with an amount they'd know to be reasonable for the expense of me lending them the money.

If I had to work out a 'clause', I'd forget it, they're not close enough to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
you obviously haven't experienced how much money can change things - even to those who are close to you...