Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2006, 01:32 PM

Default Re: What do you do to sleep?

watch that movie "March of the Penguins" and you will fall asleep within 5 minutes.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:22 PM

First identify anything that might be hurting your sleep habits. Are you doing exercise at night? Your body is trying to slow down at that time and you don't want to counter that. Exercise earlier in the day, and also make sure you're mentally stimulated during the day as well. Are you drinking caffeine at night? Eating sugary stuff at night? Got a lot of things on your mind stressing you out? Having trouble sleeping could be due to more things than could be listed here.

It might be good if you do some light reading before you go to bed. Decide when it's just about bedtime, hit it up for a single chapter, and that may help. Or maybe some meditation, or jerking off, or whatever your style is.

I'm sure webmd.com and similar sites have plenty of good information about this.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:28 PM

I think alcohol is partly to blame. I'm done w/ drinking.

Indy
Old 01-23-2006, 09:55 PM

Ambien and Alcohol for the MOST part work on the same pathway (GABA receptor). In short, ambien and alcohol are cross reactive. Thus your tolerance to alcohol is making yourself tolerant to ambien.

So if you want to have ambien work better, you must reduce your drinking.

Also, excercise can increase appetite and sleep conduciveness.

Ambien and Xanax ( ibelieve) will not help you because again they work same pathway as alcohol. Thus, u need to cut either or.

There are alternatives, two i can just think of off the top of my head are certain antidepressants like wellbutrin (not prozac...diff mechanism). Safest choice are melatonin supplements (mechanism is turkey). thus if u take a lot of melatonin and turkey...u will have cross tolerance.

But i suggest next time u go to doctor, tell him that you do consume a lot of alcohol. That is why your ambien isn't working as well. otherwise, ambien is quite a good drug for your condition.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:16 PM

Its 9 pm here, I didnt drink any fluid after 6 so I don't get up and piss. I've made a vow to quit drinking outright. I've taken a half an ambien tonight, am watching some Andy Griffith and about to play a low limit PL O8 HU match to wear me down. One thing is for sure, more exercise and noooooo more boozing.

God I need a cold Heiny,

Indy
Old 01-23-2006, 10:51 PM

Pop in a dvd that is either 1)incredibly, amazingly slow and/or talky or 2)something you've seen 800 times

I love falling asleep to my sports night dvds! But if that fails, a particularly unexciting episode of the West Wing will do. WW's dialogue is great if you're super alert, but it's so quick and jumpy that it will easily fatigue you if you aren't paying very close attention.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:08 PM

well i won my HU match easily....but now on channel 32 is High Stakes Poker! There goes the night

Indy
Old 01-24-2006, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First identify anything that might be hurting your sleep habits. Are you doing exercise at night? Your body is trying to slow down at that time and you don't want to counter that. Exercise earlier in the day, and also make sure you're mentally stimulated during the day as well. Are you drinking caffeine at night? Eating sugary stuff at night? Got a lot of things on your mind stressing you out? Having trouble sleeping could be due to more things than could be listed here.

It might be good if you do some light reading before you go to bed. Decide when it's just about bedtime, hit it up for a single chapter, and that may help. Or maybe some meditation, or jerking off, or whatever your style is.

I'm sure webmd.com and similar sites have plenty of good information about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is all really good advice, IMO.

I used to have a lot of trouble falling asleep. If you exercise at some point in the day, this will help a lot. Also, do your best to take care of unfinished business. If you procrastinate important things, u feel guilty, and thus a hard time falling asleep.. Just my experiences.

And oh ya... WHACKING OFF HELPS.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:06 AM

Try playing a cd. The music that works best for me is mainly classical music. Sometimes jeff buckley or other "dreamy" music you can find works wonders also. Make sure to have it just loud enough that you actually have to pay attention to the music. Then simply concentrate on the music, before you know it you will be waking up.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:11 AM

Maybe you're a night person. I am. I can sleep w/ no problem during the day and terribly at night.