Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2006, 09:19 AM

Default Did I play poorly in big pots?

This hand took place in my second orbit

UTG+1 is pretty laggy, he has been in about 50% of the hands and has raised over half of those. We saw him 3bet a UTG raise with 22, smooth call the flop with a set, and pop the turn. Also saw him bluff c/r the turn with a gutshot.

Cryptologic
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $2/$4
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is Button with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="red">UTG+1 raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="red">Hero 3-bets</font>, 2 folds, UTG+1 calls, CO calls.

Flop: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (10.5SB, 3 players)
<font color="red">UTG+1 bets</font>, CO folds, Hero calls.

Turn: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (6.25BB, 2 players)
<font color="red">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (8.25BB, 2 players)
<font color="red">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Results:
Final pot: 10.25BB

This hand took place a few orbits later. Villain is pretty loose. He raised JJ UTG, got 3bet, and capped it, bet an AQx flop, b/c Q turn, c/c blank river. He also wtsd b b c/c with KQo in the BB vs a pfr on an A74 rainbow board.

Cryptologic
Limit Holdem Ring game
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="red">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, 3 folds, BB calls.

Flop: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (6.5SB, 3 players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, BB folds.

Turn: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4.25BB, 2 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets</font>, <font color="red">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (8.25BB, 2 players)
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks.

Results:
Final pot: 8.25BB

This hand is against an unknown villain. We have seen this guy defend his BB, peel the flop and fold the turn. Then he defended his SB, peeled the flop, and folded the turn. Then he cold called on the button, called two more. Called two cold on the flop, and fold to a cap. This is his fourth hand. He is the CO. UTG+1 is the same villain as last hand.

Cryptologic
Limit Holdem Ring game
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="red">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, CO calls, 2 folds, BB calls.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (8.5SB, 4 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#cc0000">CO caps</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (10.25BB, 3 players)
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (13.25BB, 3 players)
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 folds.

Results:
Final pot: 15.25BB
Old 08-20-2006, 10:19 AM

Default Re: Did I play poorly in big pots?

Hand 1 - "Never stop your enemy when he's making a mistake." His bet probably means he likes his hand enough to take it to the river.

Hand 2 - Great

Hand 3 - Check raising the turn might be an option, IDK, don't listen to me though, I'd like to hear what others say. No way I'm donking that river.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:43 AM

Hand 1. Your opponent good have a worse queen or a big draw, raise the flop and then re-evaluate the turn, when it blanks I would probably bet if checked to and raise if not. Then just call the river.

Hand 2. Hmmm, I dunno if there is missed value in not betting the river here? I suck in these spots.

Hand 3. Yeah check-raising the turn might not be bad, looks like UTG+1 is drawing, CO could also be semi-bluffing a big draw with position. I just check call that river though.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:08 PM

Hand 1) Raise the flop, Given you called pop the blank on the turn.

Hand 2) NH, I play the same.

Hand 3) Meh, think I play the same, but that's a tough one. You were either ahead on the flop and are now behind, or behind on the flop and now drew out. I'm C/Cing the river unless the UTG+1 CRs the river.(or it goes bet/raise).
Old 08-20-2006, 12:14 PM

hand 1 ok, if you think he'll fold to agression fine but raise the river !!!

hand 2 and 3 are rough but you played them ok
Old 08-20-2006, 01:50 PM

Hand 1: I find the raise button on the turn. Failure to do that, I find it on the river.

Hand 2: Good.

Hand 3: UTG+1 still to act so I like the river c/c.

-Caddy
Old 08-20-2006, 08:28 PM

Hand 1 was a tough one for me. I feel like I have been overvaluing TPTK a little. I used to raise flops like these, but I don't really see the advantage anymore.

With a draw, villain would call, and possibly c/r me on the turn. Do I call down a turn c/r on a blank? (I usually do.) Or, he may have flopped a set or a straight or 2p, in which case he will take the same line (and I have to pay off).

I considered raising the turn, but the villain had already showed a propensity to bluff, and I was unsure of how to handle a 3bet (I would probably call down again, bad?).

I also considered raising the river, but why fold out a busted draw? True, he calls here also with worse Qs or Js, but do I really have the best hand here 55% of the time? If I get raised, do I fold?

The other two were pretty standard for me, but I have been losing a ton of those types of hands, so I just wanted to make sure I wasn't misplaying them..
Old 08-20-2006, 10:48 PM

Hand 1: You've got to raise the turn or the river IMO. I prefer the turn.

Hand 2: Fine.

Hand 3: Sucks that you can't raise the river, because you almost certainly just caught up to CO (unless he played K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] like this), but with UTG+1 still in there I just call too.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:23 PM

hand one put in another bet esp against this guy and at no point dont go to showdown, i think he doesnt find a fold with any pair/draw anyways so pop the flop or turn (i like turn here given read)

hand 2s cool, ugly board id still ck call the river for sure vs this guy

hand 3 id play exactly the same vs unknown after he capped the flop. until you know he caps like AJ or pair and fd (lots of the 10c xc combos either picked up even more outs or got to 2 pair tho, i wouldnt cr the turn esp 3 handed ;you could charge utg for clubs but it may be COs equity ur pushing even if he doesnt go 3 on the turn.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1 was a tough one for me. I feel like I have been overvaluing TPTK a little. I used to raise flops like these, but I don't really see the advantage anymore.

With a draw, villain would call, and possibly c/r me on the turn. Do I call down a turn c/r on a blank? (I usually do.) Or, he may have flopped a set or a straight or 2p, in which case he will take the same line (and I have to pay off).

I considered raising the turn, but the villain had already showed a propensity to bluff, and I was unsure of how to handle a 3bet (I would probably call down again, bad?).

I also considered raising the river, but why fold out a busted draw? True, he calls here also with worse Qs or Js, but do I really have the best hand here 55% of the time? If I get raised, do I fold?

The other two were pretty standard for me, but I have been losing a ton of those types of hands, so I just wanted to make sure I wasn't misplaying them..

[/ QUOTE ]

You still need to raise the turn in hand 1. Start putting your opponents on ranges in your mind. Your way ahead of this guy's range on the turn but he probably has a fair # of outs against you. Therefore, you must raise the turn to charge him double to draw, if your 3bet, call, and call almost any river.

-Caddy