5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
hero: $100
CO: $100.50
Button: $103.25
SB: $55.70
BB: $115.35

Pre-flop: (5 players) hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
hero raises to $3.3, CO calls, 2 folds, BB calls.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($10.4, 3 players)
BB checks, hero bets $7, CO calls, BB folds.

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($24.4, 2 players)
hero checks, CO bets $24.4, hero calls.

River: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($73.2, 2 players)
hero checks, CO is all-in $65.8, hero folds.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:00 AM

Default Re: $100NL 6 max - AK hand

Make a 2/3 PSB on the turn and fold to a raise. Shut down if called, and only call up to 1/2 PSB on river.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:06 AM

preflop i'd just make it $4 straight.

i do like to check the turn here usually, but the fact that we have a nutflush draw means we aren't in a WA/WB situation as we have a tonne of outs. I'd prob just bet out $18 on this turn and then tank like crazy if i see a push
Old 08-21-2006, 07:44 AM

I deleted my first response because it was a complete mess making no sense; here's my second try.

First, I like betting the turn. You just picked up the NFD, you have no reason to think your hand isn't good, get some value in there. I hate getting raised off the NFD, but imo being in a tough pickle if you get raised isn't a good enough reason to miss out on value against hands like Ax.

That said, checking the turn isn't bad. Against an unknown there's nothing wrong with taking a safer route, and since A9/AJ/set/flush/weird two pair are all in villain's range (I mean, he is an unknown at FT $100, who knows what kind of bs he's calling with). When he jams the pot button, I think it's either a flush, AQ-AT, or air (A4/A9 probably min-raises flop, these donks love that [censored]); check-raising is an option, but he probably isn't folding the hands you're ahead of so you're just semi-bluffing with little FE (it's good for pwning AQ/AT but that's about it). So, calling takes us to the river, where his range is...still, probably AQ-AT/flush/air. I think I'd call here, but I'm a fish. I've seen a lot of ridonkulous agrotard floaters in my traumatizing time at FT $100 NL, and when you've somewhat underrepresented your hand (from his POV, you cbet and check-called a street, with the c/c being totally possible with a naked K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]; you look pretty damn weak), he sure is making some big bets against what looks like a weak hand. This leans me towards a call.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:09 AM

Thanks for your post goofy.

[ QUOTE ]
First, I like betting the turn. You just picked up the NFD, you have no reason to think your hand isn't good, get some value in there. I hate getting raised off the NFD, but imo being in a tough pickle if you get raised isn't a good enough reason to miss out on value against hands like Ax.

[/ QUOTE ]

After thinking about this hand some more I think I agree with this. A turn check at higher limits is fairly standard as there are less Ax hands in opponent’s range and most will fold to a turn bet, plus the likelihood of getting bluff raised by a weaker A is higher. But this is 100nl.

What bet size do people like on the turn? I’d probably bet $15.

<u>Hypothetical scenario</u>
What are peoples plans for a blank river(lets say a 7s),if your $15 turn bet was flat called?
We’re probably only behind to a flush (I think sets/2 pair will raise either the flop or turn), but will the Ax hands pay off a small river value bet?
I don’t think we should worry about say a $20 river bet being bluff raised because what hands can villain have to bluff raise this river besides a weak ace. Most opponents who are turning up on the river with a weak ace are calling or folding.
To anybody who would check call the river (in this hypothetical situation), what size bets are you paying off?
Are you paying off a ½ pot bet because there’s a 25% chance villain is betting a weaker ace?

<u>Back to actual hand</u>

[ QUOTE ]
When he jams the pot button, I think it's either a flush, AQ-AT, or air (A4/A9 probably min-raises flop, these donks love that [censored]);
So, calling takes us to the river, where his range is...still, probably AQ-AT/flush/air. I think I'd call here, but I'm a fish.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there’s a slim chance villain has air when he flat calls my bet on an A high flop with a player to act behind him.
I also would assign more weight to villain slowplaying a flopped set/2 pair on the flop, which then jams big when a third heart hits on the turn. I think AT is most likely checking behind on river and if AQ decides to bet, then I don’t think they push. So against this range the river looks like a clear fold. Thoughts?
Old 08-21-2006, 09:20 AM

I would of lead for $20 on the turn, Because of the check Im not sure where you are in this hand.

The villian calling $7 catching the flush then immediately driving you out with a pot sized bet seems retarded.

Also, I like your hand on the turn, you still ahead here often and you've picked up outs to the nuts.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:30 AM

well, i dunno about all that you are saying because im new to NL, but i think if you can lead the turn for say 2/3 of the pot, you keep it just a tad smaller, to still make a valuebet that could be considered 'healthy' in the eyes of your opponent, but that makes you safely fold to an all-in raise. Overall it costs you a bit more, but the probability-rate of you making the right decision seems way way higher than with this line, and thus more profitable in the long run.

As played i think your hand screams to be outpushed. Also, it seems that if you want to save yourself from these tough decisions, overbetting the flop doesn't seem that bad to get a more precise read where you stand.

my 2 cts.