Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2006, 04:27 PM

Default Re: cable modem vs.dsl

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I used to be a cable installer, cable modems are almost always faster than DSL, but tend to be slightly less reliable.

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy hit it on the head. I live in a condo and the cable wiring is the old skinny black wire. I had a hell of a time keeping the cable going. I would get kicked off all the time, usually during a critical hand in a tourney. Finally I switched to DSL and yes it is a bit slower, but not that much. I have never had a problem with DSL yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in the same boat. I seem to get multiple drops with cable that last about a minute or just long enough to consume my time bank in a tourney. Unfortunately, I don't think that a DSL option is available to me yet.

If cable video service was as intermittant as their broadband, it wouldn't exist.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:50 PM

Your best bet is to ask neighbors and other people in your city. I have both Comcast cable and Verizon DSL. My cable internet is 10x more reliable than my DSL, but I keep it as a cheap back-up. $20/month vs. Cable connection going out at 4am, while I am in 6 $50 sng's.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:12 PM

Fortunate to live in a city where the unreliable cable ranges from either a lot faster then DSL to a [censored] faster then DSL. The most unreliablility i've ever experienced was for a week long period when i had a FUBAR'd router and didn't know it.

I'm firmly in the cable camp in my city.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also take into account if you are going to get cable TV. sometimes you can get it all in a package for a discounted price.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are parts of the US where you can do this with DSL and satellite tv.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
also take into account if you are going to get cable TV. sometimes you can get it all in a package for a discounted price.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but satellite TV is garbage.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:00 PM

Over the years, I've been back and forth DSL and cable at home. I find that I like DSL better for stability reasons. You don't want to get bumped off the internet when you have tables up. It's annoying enough when a room's network drops.

To me, it seems that cable drops fairly frequently. I have Speakeasy DSL and they send me emails for network maintainance outages (always during non-peak usage) and reimburse for unexpected network downtime on billing statements. Cable never did that unless you harrassed them over the phone. The bastards. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Speakeasy by far has the best customer service I've seen (tech support once called by back about a non-standard modem I was installing w/o me asking)...but you may not be able to get them.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but satellite TV is garbage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems fine to me.